MicronPC CPU Ratio Locked Jumper Help

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi,

this pc is old but its the only one I got with a DVD burner in it
I found a junk machine with a 733MHz processor which fits the slot and is a year older the the 550MHz in the Micron now
in bios it says
cpu speed 550
cpu ratio locked
these are both greyed out
I found a jumper on the motherboard which says cpu lock on it

Q1 Do i just pull out the jumper?

There is another jumper referred to as jumper 1
this jump has two settings...
pins 1-2 = safe speed
pins 2-3 = Normal
currently neither is jumped

Q2 Which setting should I used safe or normal or leave unjumped?

third and final jumper says clear CMOS/FWD and is not connected
if I am correct I should not ever connect this without having the bios updates readily available???

Q3 Is this jumper used for a "BIOS Flash"?

Thank you in advance for any information you can afford me.
I wish Micron didn't just kill all the support sites on the 31st of march would make this easier I could really use the bios updates and a manual. anyone who can find them tell me how I googled myself to sleep yesterday trying to find them

MicronPC Piii 550 MHz 256 MB Ram
WinXP SP3
Avast AVP

without a lot more info it'd be difficult to say, but i would suggest that the other jumper is for a 'turbo mode' pulling the first jumper might work.

wouldn't it be easier to move the dvd burner to another machine?

Can that one actually provide enough data to the burner to stop a buffer underrun?

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
machine runs fine and money isn't free
so enhance for free is me

not sure what you mean pull first jumper but I am will post a photo bucket link in a day or so when I get my camera back

get a couple of zoomed in shots of the jumpers I am talking about

when you say pull the first jumper do you mean remove the one that says JP2 On Lock

thanks for your fast reply

notchris

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
other are a laptop850Mhz for business and a mac700Mhz for the misses who has crashed my operating system over and over. those are old too

thank you so much for the reply

if you have any other advice on swapping this 550Mhz to 733Mhz I'd Appreciate it from what I have read I need to set the system to 133Mhz multiplier to 5.5

does a Turbo over clock the cpu or just speed up the bus I haven't used that word since the 486 Dos machine
lol

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
In The AMIBIOS HIFLEX SETUP UTILITY - VERSION 1.23
after I removed the jumper for JP2 ON LOCK
Under Advanced CMOS Setup....
The CPU Speed is 550 MHz and is greyed out and
The CPU Ratio Selection is LOCKED and is greyed out

Thanks again

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
for the lock jumper there are only 2 pins and I think what I need is version 1.23b of amibios setup I saw some screenshots of it and it has everything for setting up the multipliers but I can't find it.

It looks like that jumper sets the FSB frequency and the jumper is currently set to 100 MHz FSB speed. FSB speed selection jumpers were common back in those days as the BIOSes were just then starting to have the ability to self-adjust the FSB speed. The PIII 550 runs on a 100 MHz FSB (5.5x100 MHz) while the 733 runs on a 133 MHz FSB (5.5x133 MHz). The fact that your 733 MHz CPU is running at 550 MHz indicates the FSB is running at 100 MHz and not the proper 133 MHz FSB. I think the "normal" setting might be what you want, but it is entirely possible your board only supports 100 MHz FSB CPUs. You'd have to tell us what chipset the board has as the 440BX boards didn't officially support a 133 MHz FSB, nor did the i810E boards. The VIA PLE133 does and the i810/i810DC-100 and i815, i820 (yuck) support 133 MHz FSBs as well.

Oh, I forgot to say that the multipliers on PIIIs are not adjustable, which is why the multiplier (CPU ratio) selection is locked.

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
awesome thats a great idea but a few things there is no current jumper on the any pin(s) 1+2 is safe and 2+3 is normal your saying to jump 2+3 for normal

Here is a link to a picture of my board it looks just like this one colors and all my digital camera won't turn on currently or I would take some zoomed pics of the jump pins but maybe this can help you

http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/FX810E/FX810E.htm

I have a 550 in the machine now I want to put the 733 in and I knew there had to be something because when I put it in did not boot couldn't even enter bios swapped back all is fine so I figure I need to set the jumper for 133MHz as you said and the multiplier is already 5.5 because PIII doesn't allow the change??

Ah, I see now. I thought you *had* the 733 in there and that it was only working at 550 MHz. Since the unit is a Socket 370 unit, both PIIIs should be Coppermines and there should be no BIOS or voltage issues. The board does support a 133 MHz FSB, so that is not an issue either. I think your issue may be that the board may very well just run the RAM at the FSB speed and you have PC100 RAM, which will not run at 133 MHz. That would cause the machine to not boot at all with the PIII 733 installed.

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
one chip is a 133MHz the other is only 100 MHz and thats the problem i see so I need another 133 chip because winxp can't function without at least 256mb unless you have the space to increase your paging file and even then would run slower then now

ok this is my theory for the board as far as jumper setting
pins 1-2 = safe speed 66Mhz
pins 2-3 = Normal 133Mhz
No Jumper = Default 100Mhz

correct me if thats wrong
and thank you so much for all of the addvice now I gotta find another chip

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
HELP
got 2 256mb 133mhz chips install booted windows shut down removed 550Mhz cpu install 733Mhz turned on does not do anyhting but sit at the MicronPC.com start screen cannot press delete cannot press tab for POST do I need to change the FSB manually some how is that what the jumper above means

thanks

Hmm. Did you run Memtest86 on the new sticks of RAM you just got? If you didn't, then perhaps putting the 550 MHz unit in there with the new RAM and running Memtest86 would be a good idea. Dealing with OEM PCs is always a tougher thing to do than dealing with generic parts as you never know exactly how the OEM set certain things up, such as those jumpers.

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
well replaced cpu with original ran memtest computer freezes now no matter what i do comp freezes in the first 5 to 20 minutes of boot up to windows to iso to anything any ideas i unplugged machine and grounded myself I was careful. could this be my fault or could have installing other cpu could have cause this

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
ok if anyone out there any other suggestions regarding this PC i'd appreciate it i got it up in safe mode with the original cpu and memory is new 256mb chips run at 100 - 133 MHz computer seems fine after I got into safe mode I ran a virus scan with avast and did a registry defrag and system clean up using C Cleaner
now it doesn't freeze or hasn't yet anyway.

I tested this 733 Mhz processor from other machine and its fine do we have any other suggestions as to how to get that one to work

I think my freezing problem was a fluke at this point

could clearing the NVram clear the CPU lock??????

TRENDING THREADS