computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I've never read about sound cards, and pretty much know NOTHING about them, as i am pretty newbish

So i have some questions

1) do sound cards really improve sound quality?

2) How do you set up surround sound? Is it costly?

If there are any sound card guides, i'd love to read em

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
First 1) No, sound cards are not needed. The onboard sound on most new motherboards are fine. Usually 7.1 sound is availabe on these. Although, if you absolutly need a sound card, Creative Audigy is very good.
2) Sourround sound can be expensive, depends on what you want to do. Most people would use SPDIF if they can. This is a Sony, PHILIPS sound option on almost every motherboard out right now. Most solutions will have a single coax or optical cable with them. Meaning all the audio is using one cable, instead of several for the included "Realtex HD Audio". Green, Pink, Black, Blue etc. are the ports on the back of a computer. I'll stop there. LOL

1. They do not improve sound quality. However I do believe that a dedicated sound card is needed to play in games in surround sound. Movies will work fine with onboard surround sound.

2. It's easy everything is color coded and it can be very cheap to do it. Personally my fav system is the logitech z5500 which cost about 250. decent sound quality and power plus it has multiple input options for consoles.