AMD Phenom II X6 1055T recommendations?

PhoenixFlame

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So I've been reading up for 12+ hours today, and doing searches on this forum an' while I bet the answers are here somewhere I'm just striking out at finding them. Here's the question as it stands.

What after market cooling solution would be optimal for a Phenom II X6 1055T?

Now the context, I am not currently planing to do any overclocking on it but I would like to be able to the in future (when I'm a bit more savvy and know what I'm doing). I also want to make sure I have space for the addition of a second GPU and most likely sound card later on as well (although I am willing to compromise on space if it means a cooling system that will better answer my points 1&2 below).
Also the area my computer is in has two major restrictions that make it harder
1) a child sleeps a few feet away so sound matters
2) the tower is in a bit of a confined space so air flow is somewhat less than optimal.

Here are the newegg links to the components I have so far for this build:

1. AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Thuban) 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor (Model: HDT55TFBGRBOX)

2. ASUS Socket AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX Motherboard (Model: M4A785TD-V EVO)

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)

4. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA II 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: ST3100528AS) – OEM

5. OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80Plus Certified Modular Active PFX PSU (Model: OCZ700MZSP)

6. Thermaltake Element G Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model: VL10001W2Z)

7. Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

8. XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I'm pretty sure some of that info isn't required for this question but my brain is soup at this point so I just put up everything rather than leave out something that matters.

Thanks in advance to everyone who can contribute some advice :)

Solution
I use a Hyper 212+ on my 1055T. It certainly is overkill at stock (and especially with mine that is undervolted) however that gives two major benefits:

1.) You can OC later without issue (plenty of temperature headroom).

2.) The fan runs at very low speed at idle and moderate usage (a nice 600RPM right now) which means near silent. At full speed it becomes audible, however that would require all cores maxed.

The 212 isn't a huge cooler, but it certainly isn't small either. I haven't had any conflicts with cards or ram on the two systems I have put 212s in.
I use a Hyper 212+ on my 1055T. It certainly is overkill at stock (and especially with mine that is undervolted) however that gives two major benefits:

1.) You can OC later without issue (plenty of temperature headroom).

2.) The fan runs at very low speed at idle and moderate usage (a nice 600RPM right now) which means near silent. At full speed it becomes audible, however that would require all cores maxed.

The 212 isn't a huge cooler, but it certainly isn't small either. I haven't had any conflicts with cards or ram on the two systems I have put 212s in.

Solution
Yep, if you need dimensions of the cooler (most notably height) so you can check fit, let me know (might take me a little while to get back though). Also, if you live in the US, look into Microcenter and Amazon, as Newegg is (or was last I checked) a bit overpriced.

PhoenixFlame

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yes dimensions would be most welcome, thanks :)
I'll check out the pricing at those retailers as well (I am indeed in the US) every little bit that can be saved without sacrificing performance/durability is a plus.
Again I really applicate your help :)

All right, got to it ahead of schedule.

First, here is a technical drawing (from cooler master) that confirms what I found. Note this is a little outdated, they've changed the metal clips to (still pretty good) plastic ones, so their depth with fan isn't quite right:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

My measurements:

Height from MB PCB: about 6.4-6.5 inches (or from Coolermaster - 6.24 inches from top of CPU)

Depth (parallel to flow): 3.1 inches with fan (CM says 3.03, but new clips are longer), 2 inches without.

Width (crossflow): 4.7 inches (fan), cooler about 4.6 inches

Hope that helps. Let me know if any of the dimensions seem a bit tight on your computer (most likely will be height, as it is on all of my systems - but it fit in all so far).