jyparkcan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi. I use the Phenom x3 8400 for my CPU.
Recently I started playing Company of Heroes and found out that it lagged horribly as the game progressed.
I can only see that the problem lies with the CPU because the game does not lag at all at the start (therefore, not much processing).
Moreover, when I installed the game, it told me that my CPU was too weak (wow, really? I'm way over the recommended specs).
According to another guy's post, Relic has said that the game does not support the Phenom 8400, which definitely sucks for me.
So I'm thinking of buying a new CPU, which probably will be the Phenom II x3 720 (cannot go further because mobo only supports up to 95W).
My motherboard is ASUS M2N-LA (NARRA3) which is very rare and doesn't even show up on the ASUS website.
So my question is, will my motherboard support the Phenom II x3 720?
I'm not even sure if the mobo has the drivers for it, nor can I find them. The BIOS is Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00vPG (01/03/2008).
I use HD4850, which I LOVE, because all my other games play perfectly.
It's just that Relic is an ASS and does not support my old Phenom... sigh.
I've heard people not having problems with the 8450, is it much different from the 8400? The only difference I see is the B2 stepping.
So, does anyone know a fix for this problem? Or anyone know that the Phenom II will be usable on my mobo?
Or maybe I should jump back to ... maybe an Athlon x2 6000 or a Kuma...what do you think?
Help would be appreciated, thanks.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I am not sure if its the problem, but the game might not know what to do with 3 cores, if it has a multicore option somewhere try disabling it and see what happens. Also the 8450 is the same processor only with the TLB bug fixed (Which was a big problem in the original Phenoms). Any Phenom with a 50 at the end is the one with the TLB fix. Other than those two things though it seems really odd that a game wouldn't support that processor. Its hard to tell if your board would support a Phenom 2, the best way is to check for compatibility on the Asus website.