Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noctua NH-D14 or corsair h70

Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2010 10:35:09 AM

hi, i have a i7 950 with the stock heatsink but its really noisy and cant cope with the australian heat so i have been looking at getting something better to deal with the heat..... i have been looking at the h70 and pretty much had my heart set on it but recently i have been looking at on-line reviews and i have seen that the Noctua NH-D14 is getting good reviews.

the h70 will cost $150 AUS
the Noctua NH-D14 will cost $160 AUS

So both are pretty much the same price. I want the one that will give me the best longevity for my processor and quieter than the stock heatsink. which one should i go for? or i have i missed another heatsink that i should be looking at getting..... your advice would be great, thanks

More about : noctua d14 corsair h70

September 19, 2010 11:16:23 AM

well Australia gets pretty hot, so the Noctua setup may well be running at full speed a lot so could sound loud.

I'd probably be tempted with the water cooler, but make sure you get some good case ventilation, ie, at least 2 x 120mm fans sucking air into case, and one large or 2x 120mm fans pushing air out. get silent running ones like:- http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/akasa-120mm-apache-fa...

m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2010 3:36:53 PM

The H70 with be louder than the NH-D14. The Noctua fans are 140mm running at a slower speed than the H70's 120mm fans. Temps will be close but in most reviews the NH-D14 still beats the H70.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2010 6:10:54 PM

Like Davcon said, the NH-D14 isn't something where you say you want to put it in your case and you put it in like most heatsinks. You really need to check your case Dimensions first then buy it. Because it's such a huge cooler you really need a big case like a full tower so the cooler isn't hitting the case side panel. And like what Davcon stated, your ram can't be taller than 41mm.

At J_Sparrow, your one part correct, But if its hot in ausi, the H70 will be affected as well, and at max rpms the noctua fans are still quieter than the H70. Water cooling would be a bad, it costs more than you think. It costs practically 200$ more than the Noctua by itself. And if you didn't notice, the fan you posted. That thing is 60$ a pop. Who would spend money like that.... When noctua fans a perfectly fine with ULNA.
m
l
September 20, 2010 3:36:18 AM

I just found out that both the Noctua NH-D14 or corsair h70 wont fit on my motherboard, i have an ASRock Extreme 3 which has a massive chipset cooler right next to the CPU! Amy ideas for an ASRock Extreme 3 compatible heatsink.

The Noctua web site says that the NH-U12P SE2 fits as does the NH-U9B SE2 are they any good?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 3:57:39 AM

the NH-U12P is a beast, it all just depends on your budget, Tell us your budget first, Also what do you want from the cooler.

For instance the Cooler Master V6 GT is a fantastic cooler, however will you care if its loud? The U12P is good to and is quiet. Another good one that's actually cheaper than both of those if you buy this version. The Venomous X (the X-RT just gives you the AM3 bracket and a thermalright fan but you can just get two slipstreams to maximize on price).

Review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The only downside to the V6 GT is it's very loud.

The next best thing that's cheap is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or the Scythe Mugen Rev B. As you can see on the benchmark, if you actually use the same high end fan for the Hyper 212+ it actually competes with all the top level coolers. Just refer to the GT review. Plus it is only 30$ US. I don't know about Ausi.
m
l

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 4:07:07 AM

Yes they're Noctua's afterall !
The NH-U12P SE2 was their flagship cooler before the D14 come out.
Noctua NH-U12P SE2-$86.00 great quiet cooler.@$75 here
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Another very good cooler is the CoolerMaster V6GT CPU Cooler-$79.00 it's big though 165mm tall.Cools very well.$70 here
Thermaltake Frio -$76.00 another really big loud cooler.Cools well though.@$60 here

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1389/6/

The problem with recommending some other coolers is the pricing is kinda off on some units.
The TR Venomous X-RT is $99 which is too much $65 here and the Silver Arrow is only $108 a bargain over $85 here.
I'd recommend the Corsair A70 but not for $99 it's $50 in N.A.
The 212+ is priced well at $39 cost $30 here but the Mugen 2 is way off at $75 cost $40 here.
If you want quiet the Noctua is the way to go.
The V6GT is also priced very well and like aznshinobi mentioned louder then most.
September 20, 2010 4:23:22 AM

I will spend about $100 on a good heatsink. I don't want anything too noisy, i'd want something quieter than the stock i7 950 heatsink that i have at the moment.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 4:37:46 AM

gordonaus said:
I will spend about $100 on a good heatsink. I don't want anything too noisy, i'd want something quieter than the stock i7 950 heatsink that i have at the moment.

No worries! even the units noted as loud won't even be close to stock fan noise and have speed adjustments to suit your noise level and cooling preferences.
I'm referring to the V6GT and FRIO which include two fully user adjustable fan settings.
The V6GT is better then the Frio imo just be aware they are huge and tall and may not fit in your case as you still haven't divulged that info or what ram you have.
The two most important aspects when fitting a cooler.
m
l
September 20, 2010 5:33:35 AM

The NH-C12P SE14 is not compatible with the x58 extreme3.
m
l
September 20, 2010 5:49:17 AM

davcon said:
No worries! even the units noted as loud won't even be close to stock fan noise and have speed adjustments to suit your noise level and cooling preferences.
I'm referring to the V6GT and FRIO which include two fully user adjustable fan settings.
The V6GT is better then the Frio imo just be aware they are huge and tall and may not fit in your case as you still haven't divulged that info or what ram you have.
The two most important aspects when fitting a cooler.

I have 3x2gb standard RAM chips, they dont have fancy heatsinks or anything. Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 6:08:39 AM

I'd assume any of the coolers we mentioned would fit your case. Of course the U12P would be the best choice IMO since you want quiet performance. The V6 and Frio are good but you want quiet and although you can change the fans, fans aren't exactly cheap. If you assume that your Scythe fans are 10$ like our fans, 2 would be 20$ and assuming your frio or v6gt is as Davcon listed. It'd be practically the cost of the U12P. So to save the hassle as well.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3371/cooler_master_v6_...

That shows all of the heatsinks you could have a wide variety.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 1:49:01 PM

Well we can eliminate the V6GT and the Frio they won't fit in your case.
If your case only has a 120mm rear fan i would suggest you invest in 2 case fans.
A 120mm for front intake and the largest size that will fit in the top for exhaust.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 5:59:20 PM

The H70 block will fit anywhere a stock Intel cooler will fit. It should fit your MOBO just fine.
m
l
September 26, 2010 10:14:28 PM

Best answer selected by gordonaus.
m
l
!