Sign in with
Your question

Weird SSD Issue

Last response: in Storage
September 8, 2010 3:20:18 AM

Ok I'm experiencing a weird issue with my SSD. I have a A-Data s596 64GB drive installed on an Asus P5Q-E motherboard. The drive works great for the most part except sometimes when I turn the system off and the next time I need to use it the drive mysteriously goes missing from the BIOS. So, I power it down and unplug the SATA cable and pug it back in and it works. I've even tried it on a different SATA port with the same results. What is really weird is that I have another SATA HDD and DVD drive on the same controller and never have an issue. I'm wondering if the SSD is defective, I hope it's not because 1. they're expensive and 2. I would to wipe the drive and RMA it. Which leaves me with a huge pain in the a$$ of having to backup my storage drive and install Windows 7 on it until I get the drive back. I haven't even had the SSD for a month yet and I am experiencing this problem.

More about : weird ssd issue

September 8, 2010 11:00:43 AM

It sounds like the SSd is going bad. It happens. Return it ASAP. PITA I know.
m
l
September 8, 2010 2:11:29 PM

It especially sucks because I can't find the receipt for it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
September 8, 2010 8:35:06 PM

Have you swapped the SATA data cable out, sounds like a bad connect, iether the cable, or the SSD. Swap the cable, and if that does not fix it contact tech support. Probably end up with a RMA (Poor alternative, but Sh&% happens and we poor suckers pay for it - if not in money then time and effort.
m
l
September 15, 2010 1:30:07 AM

I did try a different cable as well. Maybe I'll try the one that my data drive is connected with which I know works perfectly. The thing that sucks is that I still can't find the receipt for it. Unless they will RMA it anyway.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 15, 2010 2:58:26 AM

without receipt the warranty should be based on manuf date (Might fine a date code on the SSD).
m
l
September 18, 2010 9:06:16 AM

Ok, I swapped the cable with my storage drive and both drives have been working flawlessly ever since. I hope it stays that way. If not then I'll contact A-data tech support.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 18, 2010 3:00:47 PM

Great - Enjoy
m
l
!