Want My Pictures and My Documents folder shortcuts on same..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My Documents (shortcut?) appears on the left hand side of my Windows XP Pro
Explore Window. Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places and Norton Protected
Recycle Bin also appear in this Windows Explorer window. It looks something
like this:

Desktop
+ My Documents
+ My Computer
+ My Network Places
+ Norton Protected Recycle Bin

It appears that My Documents is a shortcut to the "real" My Documents. I
would like to add My Pictures immediately under My Documents. However my
attempts to add a shortcut to My Pictures simply places a short cut to My
Pictures on the Desktop and this short cut does not appear on the left hand
side of my Windows XP Pro Explore window. What I am attempting to do is
display the shortcut for My Pictures as shown below:

Desktop
+ My Documents
+ My Pictures
+ My Computer
+ My Network Places
+ Norton Protected Recycle Bin

or perhaps

Desktop
+ My Documents
+ My Computer
+ My Network Places
+ My Pictures
+ Norton Protected Recycle Bin

How can I accomplish this?
--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
6 answers Last reply
More about want pictures documents folder shortcuts same

    You can go to control-panel,task bar/start,start menu,advanced,then select
    shortcuts to programs you wish listed.Or,R.click start button,in the new window,
    R.click the empty space,new shortcut,browsw button,then select program or file
    to add a short cut to.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Andrew,
    Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete either
    set of your instructions on my Windows XP Pro system because, in the first
    case, after I opened "Taskbar and Start Menu" there was no "Advanced" tab,
    only Taskbar and Start Menu tabs.

    In the second case, after R clicking on the start button, there was no
    choice "New Window."

    Either I'm misinterpreting your directions or perhaps you are running some
    other version (or configuration) of Windows that I'm running. BTW, I'm
    running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

    --
    Regards,

    Peter Sale
    Santa Monica, CA USA
    To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

    "Andrew E" <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    > You can go to control-panel,task bar/start,start menu,advanced,then select
    > shortcuts to programs you wish listed.Or,R.click start button,in the new
    window,
    > R.click the empty space,new shortcut,browsw button,then select program or
    file
    > to add a short cut to.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You can use the info here:

    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html

    Cut and paste the reg file test found near the end of the page. Edit the values to suit your needs.

    Keith

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message news:%23XZ%23bmdNEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > My Documents (shortcut?) appears on the left hand side of my Windows XP Pro
    > Explore Window. Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places and Norton Protected
    > Recycle Bin also appear in this Windows Explorer window. It looks something
    > like this:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > It appears that My Documents is a shortcut to the "real" My Documents. I
    > would like to add My Pictures immediately under My Documents. However my
    > attempts to add a shortcut to My Pictures simply places a short cut to My
    > Pictures on the Desktop and this short cut does not appear on the left hand
    > side of my Windows XP Pro Explore window. What I am attempting to do is
    > display the shortcut for My Pictures as shown below:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Pictures
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > or perhaps
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + My Pictures
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > How can I accomplish this?
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 9 May 2004 08:23:44 -0700, "Peter Sale"

    >My Documents (shortcut?) appears on the left hand side of my Windows XP Pro
    >Explore Window. Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places and Norton Protected
    >Recycle Bin also appear in this Windows Explorer window. It looks something
    >like this:

    >Desktop
    >+ My Documents
    >+ My Computer
    >+ My Network Places
    >+ Norton Protected Recycle Bin

    Yes. Namespace objects (if set to be displayed) such as "My Computer"
    and directories ("File Folders") created on the desktop will appear so

    >It appears that My Documents is a shortcut to the "real" My Documents.

    Yes; it is a "namespace object". These aren't files or directories,
    but are nonetheless displayed as folders within the hierarchy
    displayed by Windows Explorer.

    Some namespace objects map to:

    1) A particular directory, e.g. the "My Documents" object
    2) A filtered view of a directory, e.g. "Control Panel"
    3) An interpreted view of one or more container files, e.g. "History"
    4) Other, e.g. "Dial-Up Networking", "Network Neighborhood"

    If (1), then you will see the same content positioned both as per the
    namespace object and where the actual directory exists.

    If (2), you may see the items in another place in a different way,
    e.g. the .CPL files within the System folder vs. "Control Panel"

    If (3), you may see the raw container files if viewing the directory
    in a namespace-unaware file browser.

    >would like to add My Pictures immediately under My Documents.

    The best way to do that is to create a desktop shortcut that points to
    whatever directory is "My Pictures", and name it that.

    A definitive but difficut way would be to cause the directory to
    appear there as a namespace object.

    A dumb way to do that would be to drag the relevant directory to the
    desktop and name it "My Pictures".

    >attempts to add a shortcut to My Pictures simply places a short cut to My
    >Pictures on the Desktop and this short cut does not appear on the left hand
    >side of my Windows XP Pro Explore window.

    Oh, OK; yes, I can see that would be a problem.

    XP seems to create different kinds of shortcuts in different ways - as
    I found accidentally when trying to create a shortcut to a folder
    within the Start Menu. Instead of the expected Folder icon with arrow
    overlay that opened the folder when clicked, I got the folder itself,
    appearing to work as a seamless extension of the menu.

    That's close to what you want, so I might try to copy that to the
    desktop and see if it works. But be careful to verify that what you
    have *is* a shortcut, and not the only copy of the actual subtree you
    are trying to point to. That would be Bad, in several ways.

    I'm not in front of XP now, but I may play with this later when I am!

    >What I am attempting to do is display My Pictures as below:
    >
    >Desktop
    >+ My Documents
    >+ My Pictures
    >+ My Computer
    >+ My Network Places
    >+ Norton Protected Recycle Bin

    Yep. If my ideas bear fruit, I'll post back later ;-)

    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Certainty may be your biggest weakness
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Cquirke's post made me realize you can use a folder shortcut -- you only need to go the CLSID/namespace route if you want to add the folder to My Computer, but you want it under desktop.

    So here's the easy instructions:

    Open one explorer window to My Documents and open a second by right-clicking the Start button and selecting 'Open'.

    Right-click & drag the My Pictures folder from My Documents to the Start Menu folder. Select 'Create Shortcut here' when you release the mouse button.

    Verify you've created the proper type of shortcut by viewing its properties. A folder shortcut has only a 'general' tab listing the type as 'folder' and displaying the target path.

    Cut & paste or drag & drop the new shortcut onto the desktop.

    Keith

    "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message news:OeqE9nkNEHA.2708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    You can use the info here:

    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html

    Cut and paste the reg file test found near the end of the page. Edit the values to suit your needs.

    Keith

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message news:%23XZ%23bmdNEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > My Documents (shortcut?) appears on the left hand side of my Windows XP Pro
    > Explore Window. Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places and Norton Protected
    > Recycle Bin also appear in this Windows Explorer window. It looks something
    > like this:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > It appears that My Documents is a shortcut to the "real" My Documents. I
    > would like to add My Pictures immediately under My Documents. However my
    > attempts to add a shortcut to My Pictures simply places a short cut to My
    > Pictures on the Desktop and this short cut does not appear on the left hand
    > side of my Windows XP Pro Explore window. What I am attempting to do is
    > display the shortcut for My Pictures as shown below:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Pictures
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > or perhaps
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + My Pictures
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > How can I accomplish this?
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Keith,
    That did the trick. "My Pictures" now appears on the left of my Explore
    Window as shown below:
    Desktop
    + My Documents
    + My Computer
    + My Network Places
    Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    + My Pictures

    Thank you one and all for your helpful suggestions. They were very much
    appreciated by me.

    Now if I can just figure a way to synchronize Outlook Express' email on my
    desktop with my laptop. And yes I know there is a way to do this in
    Outlook, but I'm attempting to do this with Express.
    --
    Many Thanks,

    Peter Sale
    Santa Monica, CA USA
    To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

    ===
    "Keith Miller" wrote ...
    Cquirke's post made me realize you can use a folder shortcut -- you only
    need to go the CLSID/namespace route if you want to add the folder to My
    Computer, but you want it under desktop.

    So here's the easy instructions:

    Open one explorer window to My Documents and open a second by right-clicking
    the Start button and selecting 'Open'.

    Right-click & drag the My Pictures folder from My Documents to the Start
    Menu folder. Select 'Create Shortcut here' when you release the mouse
    button.

    Verify you've created the proper type of shortcut by viewing its properties.
    A folder shortcut has only a 'general' tab listing the type as 'folder' and
    displaying the target path.

    Cut & paste or drag & drop the new shortcut onto the desktop.

    Keith
    ===
    "Keith Miller" wrote ...
    You can use the info here:

    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html

    Cut and paste the reg file test found near the end of the page. Edit the
    values to suit your needs.

    Keith

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
    > My Documents (shortcut?) appears on the left hand side of my Windows XP
    Pro
    > Explore Window. Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places and Norton
    Protected
    > Recycle Bin also appear in this Windows Explorer window. It looks
    something
    > like this:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > It appears that My Documents is a shortcut to the "real" My Documents. I
    > would like to add My Pictures immediately under My Documents. However my
    > attempts to add a shortcut to My Pictures simply places a short cut to My
    > Pictures on the Desktop and this short cut does not appear on the left
    hand
    > side of my Windows XP Pro Explore window. What I am attempting to do is
    > display the shortcut for My Pictures as shown below:
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Pictures
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > or perhaps
    >
    > Desktop
    > + My Documents
    > + My Computer
    > + My Network Places
    > + My Pictures
    > + Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > How can I accomplish this?
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Configuration My Documents Microsoft Windows XP