Can a 160w PSU handle the HD4830?

Solution

Because the Corsair is much better quality. For example, the 12V rail on that one that you linked to only has 14A, while the Corsair has 30A (the 12V rail is what powers the CPU, GPU, and hard drives on most modern computers, so it matters). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the one you linked to is rated for 450W maximum, not continuous, and would actually burn out if you tried to run it at that load for any length of time, while the Corsair is one I would trust to deliver full power all day long. Don't go cheap on the PSU - when they...

Jhsmn

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

Processor- Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @1.80GHZ
RAM- 3.24 gigs
Video- intel g33/g31 express chipset family
OS- Vista Home Premium
Budget- The bare minimum

Because the Corsair is much better quality. For example, the 12V rail on that one that you linked to only has 14A, while the Corsair has 30A (the 12V rail is what powers the CPU, GPU, and hard drives on most modern computers, so it matters). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the one you linked to is rated for 450W maximum, not continuous, and would actually burn out if you tried to run it at that load for any length of time, while the Corsair is one I would trust to deliver full power all day long. Don't go cheap on the PSU - when they fail, they can take out the entire rest of your system.

Solution

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Yes, im afraid your system wont even run a 4670, which is the best video card without extra power. Most HP Slimlines have 160w power supplies and ive read where 8500gt's have fried from power failure. They usually go with a HD 4550 or less for ugrading, which still is pushing it.

LOL 450 watt psu with only 168 watts on its 12 volt rail. I have a 200 watt unit with more power then that thing.

Watch out for scams. While it DOES have 450 watts its all the the 5 and 3.3 rails that are not loaded nowhere near that high.

For all intents that PSU should be labeled as 200-250 watts to be honest.

That corsair will do the job well.