Gaming mouse on the cheap side

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Now I know there's already a "best gaming mouse" thread and given the rescources I'd go with a G5 or the like but right now I'm on a small budget so, which of these do you guys recommend?

OCZ X-750 Equalizer Laser Gaming Mouse 2500DPI USB Dual Laser Engine

OCZ Behemoth Laser Gaming Mouse W/ 2 Way Scrolling Wheel 800-3200DPI Adjustable Weights

Gigabyte GM-M6880 Laser Gaming Mouse Black USB 5 Button 800/1600DPI

Other suggestions are more then welcome, as long as whoever the retailer is can ship to P.O. Boxes (and they're canadian)

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Well you cant go far wrong with a Razer mouse
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Razer-Salmosa-1800dpi-Gaming-Mouse-with-1000Hz-Ultrapolling-1ms-response-time
Much Cheapness ^^ and 1800dpi is about the lowest i would reccomend for anything close to serious gaming (3k+ is nice once you get used to the speed)

Although a bit limited on the extra buttons so depends what your after.

Personally if you can afford to wait just save for a G5 or Razer Lachesis, both around £35-40 on scan.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk

if you want some real quality your going to have to spend £35 upwards really, anything below that you might as well get the cheapest optical mouse you can find cause you aint gonna see any real difference.

Also if and when you can afford it a quality mouse mat is very worthwhile.
Im using a lachesis mouse with a destructor pad, maybe a bit overkill for some people at a total cost of £82 together but considering i must have spent 3-4x that over the last 3-4 years looking for a good setup on multiple pad/mice finding one i was completely happy with i can tell you is deffinately worth the investment.

Rundown of what i went through mouse wise to be happy, MS Sidewinder x5, saitek cyborg , various logitech mice, etc etc.
I realise im going to sound like a razer fan boy after all of this but dammit i am now after years of looking for something that wont get replaced in under 6 months, just buy one :)

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
P.s. (since i cant edit my own post :S)
consider your hand size too, i figured i had average sized hands but the lachesis i have now is smaller than the X5 I had before it, even though this is considered a 'large' mouse.

But then again depends if u palm the mouse (whole hand rested on it) or just claw it (maily move it with fingers placed around the sides).

I hate to say it but PC world or other large retailers can be handy just to go and see the mice on display and check what feels comfy.

Hope this all helps.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Those are some nice mice indeed, though I feel the need to post some extra clarifications:

This mouse will be used for my laptop, when I buy a new desktop I will for sure go for something in the range of a G5 or better

Even though this is for a laptop the thought of a laptop sized mouse makes me cringe

Slightly related to the above I have slightly bigger than average hands, an average mouse is fine but a smaller laptop one is torture.

While the speed of the mouse is all good (the faster the better) since this is a laptop we're talking about I doubt I will need something in the excess of 1800 DPI (so pretty much any gaming mouse worth a damn will be fast enough)

A mouse with a few extra buttons is what I'm looking for, as I use macros and the like often

the MX310 does look interesting, I found one for 14.99 refurbished

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
http://www.technologydirectcanada.com/Mice-Wired/c37_73/p921/Logitech-MX-310-USB/PS2-Optical-Mouse-(Refurb.)/product_info.html
lol I can't seem to edit mine either

[strike]anyway, my paypal has just gone through so I have decided to go with the OCZ X-750 Equalizer Laser Gaming Mouse 2500DPI USB Dual Laser Engine as it seems to be a nice basic-ish mouse that still has enough DPI and buttons for everything I want to do.[/strike]

*edit* paypal was off by 0.30$ :mad:

Though feel free post other mouses for other people who might be looking for cheap gaming mouses

Thank you for all the suggestions!

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
OCZ makes mice? Well........hope it lasts ya more than a month.

You should shop newegg.ca or ncix.com

If I had known it was for a laptop I would have recommended the Logitech v-100

They do, it actually has a pretty good rating on NCIX (4.5)

I do shop NCIX and browse Newegg but I can't order from Newegg as they won't ship to P.O. boxes

Because of the size of my hands I can't handle laptop mice to full comfort (not that'll kill me but they're annoying)

Paypal was off by 0.30$, might as well keep looking while I wait

I'm also changing my budget to 50$ CAD

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I'd recommend the Razer Lachesis, I think it's slightly outside your budget but totally worth it, huge mouse, tons of easily-accessible buttons, very fast, and looks nice too.

Been using one for about a year now and if I do have to replace it, it'll be with a newer model with the same design.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Why dont you order from Newegg just because they dont ship to PO boxes?

YOu can have the package held at the ups/fedex center and just pick it up.

I would if:

There WAS a ups/fedex center within a 50 kilometer radius

I newegg's prices ever happen to be the lowest

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

Well as luck would have it, while I was checking out prices for it on shopbot it told me NCIX was having a surprise sell of it, roughly 30 dollars off, placing it at 59.99.

:D we'll see if it's as good as you say it is, should be here in roughly a week

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Nice one :) ditch the CD that comes with it and grab the drivers / firmware update from razers website.

Works best on a hard mousemat btw, using a destructor with mine although that costs as much as the mouse hehe.

camohill

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I highly recommend that you get a a4 tech XL-750 BF
I was in the same situation as you. You can program this mouse, and it has 2 side buttons , 1 extra orage buttn next to the left click, and the middle click with 4 way scrolling. The dpi is max 3600 min 800 and it has a lot of options between that as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FC07MQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1729W3053T57N

Status
Not open for further replies.