Sign in with
Your question

Poor temps with new heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2010 9:18:18 PM

I just bought this heatsink:
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Right now I am folding with the processor, at defualt clocks, and my temps are at 70-73 for the cores in hw monitor. I am really disappointed with this. Leaves me no room to over clock at all.

I don't know if I am applying thermal paste correctly. First time I tried an even spread, second time I used the dot method. Temps are the same for both.

Should I get a different cooler? In another thread someone recommended these:

4 coolers

More about : poor temps heatsink

a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2010 9:29:16 PM

Need to know which cpu, mob, and case you are using. to help.

Generally speaking, downdraft coolers cool cpu cores far worse than uprightcoolers
m
l
September 19, 2010 10:14:37 PM

case

Core i7 920

motherboard

I have just under 6 inches from the cpu to side of case. I originally had a dark knight, but it was too tall.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2010 10:54:25 PM

What about the CM hyper 212+, that'd probably beat all those coolers by a good bit. And it might fit. It's not a very big HS.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2010 11:04:26 PM

I can see how you wound up at this point. I normally don't like to suggest self-contained water cooled units, but can you stuff a Corsair H70 or another self-contained liquid cooler into that case? The heatsink won't be an issue, and maybe the radiator can fit somewhere.

The reason I don't like these is because the mobo can sense when the fan doesn't work, but not when the pump fails. You're left with a tough to diagnose problem of a heat-shutdown when that happens. But if you keep that in mind, and suspect pump failure FIRST if a shutdown occurs, you can mange it.

Other than that you may be stuck with a 92mm cooler, less than optimal.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 12:18:00 AM

Twoboxer said:

The reason I don't like these is because the mobo can sense when the fan doesn't work, but not when the pump fails.

The motherboard recognizes a signal, that signal comes from the RPM sense cable, doesn't matter if it's on a fan or a pump, if the signal is lost, the motherboard will know.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 12:21:27 AM

That's not my experience. Fan running, pump not, mobo starts up the cpu. Lost a cpu that way.

If a cooler states that its pump failure triggers the same warning as a fan failure, then my objection is moot.
m
l
September 20, 2010 12:22:24 AM

No true. I had my corsair h50 getting power from the cpu fan lead and it showed rpm even when dead and leaking water. I don't know if the pump was still drawing current or what, but my temps were in the high 90's.
m
l
September 24, 2010 3:42:50 AM

thats supposed to be a great air cooler. all the reviews say its one of the best air flow with low noise.

guessin the case is to cramped for proper air flow. might try like mentioned the all sealed LC from corsair.

just to ask what thermal grease do u use?
m
l
!