New build, computer shuts off after 3 min

timw86

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Hey guys. I just bought a new computer and the thing simply refuses to work First it was the motherboard not posting, then the power supply went dead, now, after massive RMAing, the computer still won't work. And I am stumped because I have NO idea what is wrong with it.

My setup is
asus p6t deluxe motherboard
i7 920 cpu
corsair dominator 6 gb ram
evga gtx 285
corsair hx1000w psu
western digital caviar black 750 gb hd
antec 1200 case
and a cooler master v8 cpu cooler

When I turn on the computer, everything seems to work fine. But after about 3 minutes, the computer just shuts down on its own. I couldn't even hit the power switch on the motherboard to turn it back on. I have to turn off and turn on the power supply and then hit the power button. Once the system is on again, the same problem occurs. I have tried to remove all but one ram, the same problem happens. Removing all the ram results in no post. Removing gpu results in no post. I've tested the psu and it passed the psu jumper test. I have unplugged the power to the case, removed all unnecessary components, and nothing works. I am just stumped. I have no idea which component is failing, or if they are all failing. It's been two and a half weeks since I got the computer and nothing seems to work. Please, if anyone has any idea what might be the problem, I would really appreciate it. i am just at my wits end right now :pfff:

timw86

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
i believe my idle temps are within normal range. I cant remember. But I wasn't able to check load temps or run memtest because I haven't even been able to install an OS yet. The computer shuts off before I can boot from cd. Sometime it shuts off when I'm in the bios settings. So I have not touched anything with the ram settings.

but is there some incompatibility between the corsair dominator 6gb ram with the asus p6t deluxe motherboard? Do I have to manually change settings on it?

It almost sounds more like an overheating problem. I'd double check your temps and post them here. Maybe the V8 isn't making correct contact? Did you have any problems with the cooler installation? What thermal compound did you use?

timw86

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I didn have any problems with the installation. Although that might be the problem. When the computer shuts off i can sort of hear a crackling sound, as if something hot is cooling down. Will check the cpu temp first before i do anything. But in bios it reported temp as 60 C. That shouldn't be hot enough to force a shut down.

timw86

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
OK, it WASNT the cpu over temping. It idles at 22c which is normal

it was the freaking psu! wow, so just a warning, dont ANYONE buy the corsair hx1000w, this is the second one I got and it still DOESNT work.

good lord...

but thanks for all your help guys!