Sign in with
Your question

Newbie looking for OC help

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2010 10:50:22 PM

Hey all,

I've been tinkering with OC for the past couple hours and feel I'm at a bit of a stopping point as I haven't done anything manually yet. All my OC has been through windows using tools. I'm hoping someone who has this hardware and/or is familiar with it, can point me in the right direction to as exactly what I need to do and where it needs to be done:

- AMD Phenom 1090T black edition
- ASUS Crosshair IV 890FX
- ATI 5870
- 8gb (4 x 2) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
- 1000w PSU

So far I've done the following:
- Pushed the OC and unlock buttons on the front of the motherboard
- Hit 4 on computer start to unlock cores
- Ran the ATI Overdrive utility to go to 900/1300
- Ran the Turbo V Evo auto-tune which took me to
CPU Freq: 232
CPU Volt: 1.35
CPU/NB Volt: 1.15
DRAM Volt: 1.6
-- I bumped it up to 250 ok, then 260 BSOD'd me. I found posts where people were able to achieve over 4ghz, but you have to up the multiplier. This is what made me stop as I'm not entirely sure how to do this as it sounds like it has a dependency on the memory? I'm really not sure ... I'm still reading though.

I realize I have a lot of learning to do, and there is plenty of info out there. As I said though, I'm hopeful to get someone's attention that is familiar with this setup and can kind of just point me in the right direction in regards to what has to be done, and how far I can push it. I'm just very fearful of ruining my system as I've never dabbled in the OC world.

Thanks!

More about : newbie

September 20, 2010 12:08:39 PM

Thanks two, this will be a good resource to learn from. In the mean time though, also hoping to better understand my own hardware in regards to what people have done with it. As stated, while I can educate myself and such, inevitably I am looking to fast track this process and just jump right into the ideal position. Being that I still don't know all that much on the matter, I fear that I may hurt my hardware by bumping it up to quickly. I have to assume many have OC'd this hardware and hoping that I can get the ideal numbers to set my hardware to.

Either way, I plan on reading this article and trying to better understand what it is I'm getting into. Thank you.
m
l
!