Can I overcloak my E6500

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello guys

I want to know if I can overcloak my E6500.

I downloaded seedfan and it says that my cpu is at 38 celcius (when im doing nothing) and it goes up to like 40 max when I play starcraft 2 for like half an hour.

Here is my computer spec

E6500 dual core cpu @ 2.93 Ghz ( This is what I would like to overcloak to like 3.2 or something like that)

1x 2 Go of Ram ddr2 with 1 empty slot for extra Ram..

1X PCI e 8600 GT 512mb saphire with fan graphic card runing at 54 celcius when I do nothing and 65 when playing

1x hard drive 350 go runing at 36 celcius

here is what speed fan tells me ( I dont understand it I would like some explanation please :D )

GPU : 54 when doing nothing 74 when playing
system : 37 ( always around that)
cpu: 38 ( goes up to like 40 but thats it)
aux :32
HD 0: 36
coe 0: 38
core 1 29
core :54 when doing nothing 65 when playing ( its always the same as gpu I dont know why)
ambient: 0c

I guess that Starcraft 2 is a bit hard for my little 8600 gt but I have no money to improve so I play at medium and its enough for me.

I would like to overcloack my cpu. I have read somewhere that its easy overcloakable to 3.3 ghz only by puting the Bfbs in the bios to 333.

ALso, I am running windows xp home edition and I curently have 1x 2Go.I know that xp can only goes up to 4go minus the graghic card ( mine is 512) it would means that Ican go up to 3.5.Does that mean that I can add 1 more stick of 2 go or would it cause memory problem ?

Solution
I would highly recommend getting 4gb RAM. I can pretty much guarantee you're seeing a boatload of slowdown due to file page accessing. I'm in windows right now, only have a few apps open and my RAM usage is 2.1gb lol. It was at 2.7gb but I closed Vuze. So yeah, more RAM will make the system a lot snappier.

As for the question at hand, yes you most certainly can OC the CPU. You'll be limited tho because it sounds like that BIOS isn't really meant for OCing. If you spend a little on, say, a cheap Biostar mobo (just got my gf an mATX one for 775, $50 along with an E5400 for $70 and 4gb RAM for about $100) then you can OC a bit more, but then you'll run into temp problems most likely.

IMO, start by just getting more RAM to speed it up a...

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure you can only cloak once you research it for the ghosts but I think kerrigan has it all the time. :)

Is your PC an OEM (Dell, HP, etc)? If it is then you can not OC, they lock the boards.

Check how high your CPU usage goes while your playing , if its maxed out then your CPU is limiting your performance. If not I would not worry about OCing as you will not gain ANY performance in games.

OCing is not a simple process it is trial and error as all CPUs are different. You cannot just set the FSB to 333, search for a guide if you want to have a look how its done. Also for temps I would use HWMonitor.

You are able to run 4GB in 32 bit OS but you will only beable to use 3.5 so its a bit of a waste.

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
OK, I will check if my cpu usage is at 100% while playing Sc2.I am pretty sure it will be.Also, when I alt tab to chek thing on firefox it's a bit slow.I guess that is because of a lack of ram and slow cpu??

I will download HWmonitor to see if it's better then speedfan.

LoL about the overcloAking.. :D

My board is not an OEM so ill up the fbs to 333 as I've seen.
I know there is some other procedure with voltage and ratio and stuff but setting the fbs to 333 is said to be good easy and enuff.

Ill give you some news when it's done

What kind of motherboard?

I have an E6500 in a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L running at 3.66 GHz (333 X 11) with a piddly AC7FP. But you are not going to be able to simply bump the FSB freq up to 333 MHz and have it run. Each system is different. For example, the practical limit for the FSB with a G41 chipset seems to be around 350 - 360 MHz.

My particular chip tops out at around 3.8 GHz in a P35 motherboard, so I am not losing much much using a G41 board with it.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz :)

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
any way to know what motherboard I have ?

my everest is out of date and expired and I cant find a free new one ..

All I know is dx diag and crucial memory cheker but hey dont help for the motherboard

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
If you just open your case it is usually printed near the RAM slots. Or CPUZ often will tell you the name but not always, under the Mainboard tab.

As said previously you can't just "up" the FSB to 333. If you have a stock cooler you will likely have heat issues at those speeds anyway.

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I have found that I have a P5G41-M LE. The bios has some overall computer overclock preset of 10 15 and 20% but it is know that it crash at 20.I will oc it by 10%.Thx a lot everyone.I can not wait to come here and ask quetion about the computer I will build in 1 or 2 year when this one will clearly be out of date.

I would highly recommend getting 4gb RAM. I can pretty much guarantee you're seeing a boatload of slowdown due to file page accessing. I'm in windows right now, only have a few apps open and my RAM usage is 2.1gb lol. It was at 2.7gb but I closed Vuze. So yeah, more RAM will make the system a lot snappier.

As for the question at hand, yes you most certainly can OC the CPU. You'll be limited tho because it sounds like that BIOS isn't really meant for OCing. If you spend a little on, say, a cheap Biostar mobo (just got my gf an mATX one for 775, $50 along with an E5400 for $70 and 4gb RAM for about $100) then you can OC a bit more, but then you'll run into temp problems most likely.

IMO, start by just getting more RAM to speed it up a bit for now and then maybe just save up for a new CPU. There's a lot of good options out there for competent gaming PCs for well under $1000

Solution
Wolfram, it is not the BIOS that is the real limiting factor with the G41 chipsets. Oh, don't get me wrong. It doesn't have all the settings that the P45 does - at least, not on the Gigabyte boards, but it does have more than the basics.

The limiting factor is the G41 FSB. My board just won't run at 350 MHz. That's why the E5200 series works so well. The stock 200 MHz FSB means that the limiting factor is the CPU core, not the motherboard FSB.

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
My friend gave me 1go of ddr2 pc 5300 so now I have
1x 2go and 1x 1 go
I can see at some place that it is working in Dual channel.Is this wrong ??
Both ram are 5300 but one is 2gB one is 1 gB and they are not from the same brand...

Also, I oced my motherboard by 10%. I on't knwo if it's the ram or the oc but my computer is running fine now.
I am playing starcraft2 and LOTRO and I am having a lot of fun
thx guys