Sign in with
Your question

New to water cooling and need advice.

Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2010 11:45:51 PM

I am planning on getting into water cooling and I was not exactly sure where to start. I have no idea about what component brands are the best or really anything about water cooling at all. i have read the sticky and understand the basics but other than that I am totally new. I am looking for a proposed set up for my rig and have looked at a few all in one kits but I have read that if you buy the components individually you will get a better set up for the same price. I will want to cool both my I7 930 and my graphic cards. I have 2 gtx 470's. I will be buying pieces slowly over the next couple months so time frame and money are not really an issue. Also feel free to list any parts that are gonna drop on the market soon that are supposed to be really good and I might wait for them to see how they review. Thanks and my rig is in the Sig. My case is a Thermaltake element V

More about : water cooling advice

September 20, 2010 9:06:22 PM

That stuff all helps but I am still kinda overwhelmed. Like I hear some people say 2 loops is overkill or doesn't help more than a single loop. I also hear talk about stuff taking 250 watts of cooling. Does that mean I will need a bigger PSU is i want to liquid cool? It is almost too much info. I was looking for some one to help me break it down and suggest the first component i should buy and i am concerned about leaks so maybe what type of fitting is best.
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 9:13:03 PM

In terms of watts, it is in reference to heat in watts being produced by the components. Each radiator has the ability to remove 'X' amount of watts with 'Y' fans on 'Z' setting. As for fittings, you can go with whatever you choose as long as you have the correct tubing size, thread pattern and you secure it well. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Your first step should be to read as much as possible and understand what you are looking at. At first it seems overwhelming, but the fact that you are acknowledging there is a lot to pick up is a good sign that you realize it's not just question/answer time for each component. Learning the functionality is where you will gain understanding of what you need (we're all always learning), and even then, you can make some very educated decsions.
m
l
September 20, 2010 9:31:06 PM

I was looking around and maybe gonna grab the EK nickel blocks for my 470's. Are those good. They seem to review well.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 10:20:35 PM

Start with radiators and reservoir ,plan on how many,how big and where you going to install them,plan on how you going to run your loop/loops.Here is sample list of parts and prices for single loop i just did for my son,remember less tubing is always better ,avoid 90 deg fittings :

1 x Koolance CPU-360 (CPU), Rev1.2
4 x Noctua 120x25mm NF-P12 NF-P12
1 x XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm Radiator
1 x EK-CoolStream RAD-XT 240 (Swiftech MCR220-QP Quiet MCR220)
1 x XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Acrylic Reservoir - UV Blue
2 x Bitspower Black Sparkle BP-BS45R Rotary 45 Deg
6 x Bitspower 1/2in. BP-CPF-CC5 Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing
2 x Bitspower G 1/4 Matte BP-MB90R3D Black Triple Rotary Angle Fitting
2 x Enzotech BCFS-ID1/2-OD BCFSID12OD34
2 x Bitspower Shining Silver BP-RCPF-CC5 Rotary Compression
1 x Koolance Drain Valve, Brass
8 x Feser Tube - FT - Active FT-0062 UV Hose - ID 1/2" - UV
1 x Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide
2 x Fan Guard 120mm Chrome Jumbo Metal
1 x 4-Fan Wiring Harness, 3-Pin

TOTAL COST shipping+tax = 628.54$ ouch!!
All prices as of 09/09/2010 (prices may vary)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 10:29:34 PM

forgot to include Swiftech MCP655 12v DC
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 10:36:11 PM

ortoklaz said:
Start with radiators and reservoir ,plan on how many,how big and where you going to install them,plan on how you going to run your loop/loops.Here is sample list of parts and prices for single loop i just did for my son,remember less tubing is always better ,avoid 90 deg fittings :

1 x Koolance CPU-360 (CPU), Rev1.2
4 x Noctua 120x25mm NF-P12 NF-P12
1 x XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm Radiator
1 x EK-CoolStream RAD-XT 240 (Swiftech MCR220-QP Quiet MCR220)
1 x XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Acrylic Reservoir - UV Blue
2 x Bitspower Black Sparkle BP-BS45R Rotary 45 Deg
6 x Bitspower 1/2in. BP-CPF-CC5 Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing
2 x Bitspower G 1/4 Matte BP-MB90R3D Black Triple Rotary Angle Fitting
2 x Enzotech BCFS-ID1/2-OD BCFSID12OD34
2 x Bitspower Shining Silver BP-RCPF-CC5 Rotary Compression
1 x Koolance Drain Valve, Brass
8 x Feser Tube - FT - Active FT-0062 UV Hose - ID 1/2" - UV
1 x Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide
2 x Fan Guard 120mm Chrome Jumbo Metal
1 x 4-Fan Wiring Harness, 3-Pin

TOTAL COST shipping+tax = 628.54$ ouch!!
All prices as of 09/09/2010 (prices may vary)

$629 for a cpu loop, no wonder your avatar looks the way it does.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 10:47:55 PM

haha ..sure you can use worm clamps and heat cores and save 200$
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 12:43:50 AM

ortoklaz said:
haha ..sure you can use worm clamps and heat cores and save 200$

MCP355......................................$70...............Newegg
XSPC DDC Res top......................$35...............SVC.com
Apogee XT..................................$83...............Microcenter
DD Tieton GPU block....................$27.............( from a member of another forum )
TFC X-changer 480.....................$88..............FrozenCPU, ( bought during clearance sale )
8- EK 1/2 x 3/4 compressions......$42................Newegg
4- Feser 45º angle rotaries..........$19...............Sidewinder
EK 1/2" Fillport............................$5................Newegg
Res top Fillport fitting...................$5...............Sidewinder
10 ft. Primochill LRT....................$28...............Microcenter
Silver coil.....................................$7................Ebay
4- CM R4's.................................$26...............Microcenter ( They're crap, but they run at 1800 RPM's and work pretty well with the relatively low FPI rad. )

$ 435 with shipping and taxes , no worm clamps ( not that I mind them , my other system is full of them ) or heater cores.
$398 without the gpu in the loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 1:55:03 AM

what's your point?...-"from a member,bought during clearance sale"..this is not what i bought
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 2:15:14 AM

Dude... you don't need to spend on the latest and greatest WCing components to rival air cooling you know?

You can easily grab a GTZ for ~$60, then grab a decent 360 rad for ~$60, MCP655 ~$80, 3x120mm fans (CoolerMaster,etc) ~$30-35, PrimoFlex LRT tubing (similer or better than Tygon, depending on who you ask), 6ft ~$12-15, Swiftech Micro res, ~$25. Prices based on jabtech,etc.

Total: $275 with out clamps & fittings, Kill Coils,etc. Add those and probably $320-340 MAX.

This is by no means top of the WCing food chain, but it is a good start for some one new with WCing who doesn't want to spend a hell of a lot of money.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 2:24:00 AM

I'm trying to point out that this hobby could be very expensive on the same token i want to mention that " This hobby is filled with haters and fanboys, and none of them are worth a crap when it comes down to it. They're just a bunch of sheep"
m
l
September 21, 2010 2:27:30 AM

go to newegg.com look up the gigabyte 3D galaxy 2 liquid cooling system it's not bad it's good for starter's it support's intel core i7
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 3:25:56 AM

ortoklaz said:
what's your point?...-"from a member,bought during clearance sale"..this is not what i bought

I pointed the gpu block out because it wasn't included in your parts list and mine was $200 less with it included.
And "bought during a clearance" to show that shopping at the right time can also save you money.

I understand it can be expensive, but the point is ; no-one has to settle for worm clamps and heater cores if they're not willing to part with $629 for a cpu loop.

The OP stated that money wasn't an issue, so it doesn't really matter.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 4:17:54 AM

I was pricing out a WC loop. MCP655 pump, two MCP320 rads (barely more than the 220s, but obviously better cooling), xmps res, apogee xt cpu block, ek 5850 blocks, plus hose, 6 scythe fans, and clamps and I think it came out to just under $700. Of course I'm a newbie as well, so I don't have a clue where to find the deals but at the few places I found (that ship to canada) the prices were all pretty similar.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 1:57:34 PM

NLA Berserker said:
go to newegg.com look up the gigabyte 3D galaxy 2 liquid cooling system it's not bad it's good for starter's it support's intel core i7

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

You don't want this hunk, along with anything ThermalTake Bigwater or Zalman Reserator. There are a few other 'all in one inside a pretty box' kits that claim to be WC'ing, but are just heaps of money sucking crap.

O.P.: you can get more use out of universal GPU blocks (I've used the same MCW60 blocks on 5 different nVidia cards I've owned) by only buying an adapter bracket (if applicable) when newer GPU's come out. I spent about $100 on both GPU blocks over the last 6 years and only spent and additional $10 on a bracket (one of them came bundled witht he bracket). Full cover GPU blocks are great and look excellent as well as provide cooling for RAM, but you can always get RAMsinks and install them and have a fan blow over the cards, or just have good case airflow.

WC doesn't have to be expensive, but don't skimp on the parts that matter, watch for sales and do your homework.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 8:42:09 PM

carnedude said:
I was looking around and maybe gonna grab the EK nickel blocks for my 470's. Are those good. They seem to review well.

Skinneelabs.com shows the thermal and flow performance of GTX480 blocks. And thats not a review, we like to call Skinnee a scientist. He don't review. He tests. Use that to choose your 470 blocks. I have two 470s under the Koolance FC blocks.

That said, how can you choose blocks before you even know your heatload requirements, i'e the size, type, and brand of radiators yoU need? You also should understand a bit about flow rates etc. before buying a pump.

Your doing the right thing, knowing there is lots N lots to know. Reading a few things quickly isn't going to get you to the finish line. It's not a race. It's a hobby. It took me three months of hanging out on 3-4 forums reading, discussing air cooling and reading, reading the watercooling forums (notice I said watercooling forums, this isn't by name a watercooling forum) and just learning.

At my home forum we have peeps do just like you, and we direct them to MUCH links and reading and kinda ignore thier questions for a while as they read. Then they come back with a basic grasp and we start filling in the blank knowledge spots. They buy their stuff and build great, effective leak free units.

So, don't fret, keep up the efforts. Don't buy ANYTHING yet.
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:58:30 PM

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying anything yet maybe around the 1st of the year i will buy a part every month or 2 over then next year. I just built my first PC and want to keep it up to date and it seems WC is the way to go for the future with hotter chips and cards. I think I am gonna need 2 loops if I understand what I have read right. Because my GPUs are gonna put out a ton of heat and then my I7 930 all by it self requires quite a bit to keep it cool too. I am happy with my Noctua D14 right now for my cpu got a stable 4 ghz OC and hits about 75c under full load and over night with prime. My GPU's are what concern me the most but I know they run hot so oh well just would like to OC them a bit more in the future to make them last a bit longer. Currently though it seems like my CPU is the bottle neck for FFXIV. Other games I can run maxed out no problem. I will keep reading and after the bit of adivice I have received i see that a water cooling set up is not cookie cutter like builing a PC its more personal and there are tons of variables like stated above. Things like res size, pump output and hose diameter are factors. I am a quick learn but it is alot to take in and i thik I am gonna have to float around the scene (no pun intended) for a bit to get a better feel of who's who of components and what kinda set up will be my best bet.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2010 2:06:58 AM

No.. it is not complicated and it's not hard to accomplish ,there is nothing extreme about it ,it's old technology people make it sound like it is ...the bottom line is to have basic knowledge,by the time you ready to go for it.. all this parts mentioned in this thread will be second choice...good luck with your built
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 22, 2010 2:15:10 AM

One trick to find the amount of power you need to dissipate is a simple power calculator that is used for PSU requirements. Then on the site stated above, skinnee labs, you can compare different rads that are available to you and see just what amount of power they can dissipate, with whichever cfm fans. Based on that you can choose whether you want to go with more rad and quiet fans or less rad and really powerful but loud fans. Things like blocks are good to research too but it seems there's less to worry about there other than the pressure it takes for the whole line. And you can do a single loop if you're able to put rads in the right spots, but dual loops is good too.
m
l
September 24, 2010 3:32:50 AM

i spent 230 bux so far and i bought the thermaltake bigwater 760is added a seconday external rad , flow indicator.

i have only the CPU, chip set and memory cooled with a 500 L/ hr pump.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 2:24:00 PM

That $230 would have been much better spent on far superior WC components that would last far longer than that TT 'pretty box kit'.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 3:07:44 PM

lil_italy773 said:
i spent 230 bux so far and i bought the thermaltake bigwater 760is added a seconday external rad , flow indicator.

i have only the CPU, chip set and memory cooled with a 500 L/ hr pump.

hey bud ..you should check out this forums here :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=...
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&...

they have guys that are dying to talk to you...and then come back here with real question ok?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 3:47:05 PM

rubix_1011 said:
That $230 would have been much better spent on far superior WC components that would last far longer than that TT 'pretty box kit'.

+1. Any one willing to guess when that TT kit is going to die? I'd say 1.5 years.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 4:02:34 PM

How viable is an online wager from a forum?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 4:16:11 PM

^No idea.
m
l
!