Intel MotherBoards for the new i7

slong

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Anyone know if the intel mobos are any good? most ppl i see are going with asus and evga and so forth which i would to but intel has some nice spec boards & combos on tigerdirect that coem with the i7 for a decent price... just wanted other opinions on the quality of their boards compared to asus and others

Pick one from this list :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1070545356&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Read the reviews....

slong

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
yea im debating on foxconn, evga, or one of those intels in a combo deal... im not planning on ocn my mobo but i do plan on ocing my gpu and processor... will i need to oc the mobo also? or can i get by without having to

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
If you are going to oc, you should get a Asus or Gigabyte motherboard. Skip Intel.
The motherboard has the options that allow overclocking in the bios.

Yes indeed. Intel Core i7 mobo's only have the backbone of a Core i7 system with some small features here and there. Other good mobo brands such as ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA have that same backbone with lots of extra features and mostly better components surrounding the chipset for better OC's if you choose for the more top-ranking boards.
These things can make your life a lot easier if you plan to use the board in a more 'advanced' way like overclocking or bios-flashing.

BTW if I'm not mistaken, Intel core i7 boards don't offer triple channel memory, only dual.

So make out for yourself. Do you plan to OC the cpu or play around with memory timings/freqs., then go for the 'non-intel' brands. If you plan to simply install the cpu and ram and never tough it again, leaving it all at stock, then it might be an interesting option to buy an intel board for a very decent price.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
A nice alternative for the P6T Deluxe on the Gigabyte side is the GA-EX58-UD5. I like it more than the Asus because it has better positioned SATA and PCIe ports. There are a lot more SATA's btw, so if you need a lot of them, consider Gigabyte.

slong

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
yea well im defently ocing the i7 for sure thats a given lol, guess ill go with foxconn or evga.. prolly evga due to it being able to handle more ram and is easy to oc plus all black looks badass, defently with all gpu and coolers im getting for it.. also a nemesis gaming case will just top it off, ima be scared everytime i look at it :)