I just built myself a new computer using:

AMD 9950 BE CPU
4GB Hynix DDR2-800 RAM
Sapphire HD4870
Theraltake Armor+ MX case
ASUS M3N78 PRO motherboard
2x Seagate 500GB HDD's in RAID 0
Corsaire HX520W PSU

The computer sees to work fine, however sometimes when i am playing a game (not necessarily playing, maybe just in the menu of one) it randomly shuts down. There is no warning or anything it's just gone.

My first thought of what it was was that the CPU was overheating and had reached 61 degrees C at which point it automatically shuts down but i have applied some cooling compound and increased fan speeds and i a sure that the CPU temp, unless the numbers are false, is well under the limit (43 degrees C idle).

my next thought was that the power supply didn't have enough power when my system started drawing maximum power but then the computer shut down when i was eating dinner, leaving the game i had been playing on the pause screen. It should not have been drawing much power at all.

I really don't know what is causing it but it is getting annoying. It does seem to happen more in the menu's of games not while actually playing the but it definitely does not do it when just on the windows desktop not running anything.

I'm not sure what to do. I think it could maybe be a problem with the memory but that's just a guess so i came here for opinions, and hopefully answers.

I think you may be on the right track thinking it's a RAM issue. What are the exact specs of your RAM? Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Did you run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
The shop i bought the RAM from didn't give the timings but i think from looking on the hynix website that they are 5, 5, 5. The RAM timings and voltage are all at default. The RAM was one of the cheapest parts i got so i wont be surprised if that's where the error is. This weekend i have got an opportunity to earn enough money to buy 4GB of G-skill DDR2-800 ram. If i can back up my suspicion of the RAM then maybe i can upgrade.

I haven't run any memory tests but maybe i should.

I'd go here and download memtest86+:

http://www.memtest.org/

There's a few different versions you can download. You can either get the ISO and burn in to a CD, get one for a thumb drive, or use a floppy drive. It really should run for a few hours to fully test the RAM.

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
ok am running the test memtest86 2.11 now. the memtest has revealed that my RAM is actually timed 6, 6, 6, 18 and i think that's pretty slack so maybe i want to upgrade anyway. The G-skill stuff is 4, 4, 4, 12

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
What is better? G-skill DDR2-1000 RAM at 5,5,5,15 or G-skill DDR-2 800 at 4,4,4,12? They are both the same price. I would be running dual channel so that's really 1600mhz not 800 but then that would be 2000mhz with the DDR2-1000.

No, no. Dual channel mode does not have anything to do with memory speed or timing.

DDR2-1000 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed. The memory timings divided by frequency will yield the same absolute (in nanoseconds) time intervals. If they are the same price, buy the faster. You can always run the RAM slower and tighten the timing.

^Right. Also I advise against higher than DDR2 800 as those DIMMs are usually just factory OCed DDR2 800 and in some cases, you can run in to major issues with compatibility (ie. Crucial Ballistix DDr2 1066). I recommend the GSkill PI DDR2 800.

+1 for the G.Skill PI Black RAM. I run it in my own computer as well as use it in builds. I've been very impressed with it. I'd stick with DDR2 800 RAM that runs at 1.8v for compatibility like Shadow703793 said. The G.Skill RAM has plenty of overclocking headroom if needed too.

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209&Tpk=pi%20black%20800 $49.99

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
ok thanks but i don't think i can buy of newegg as i live in New Zealand, unless the shipping rate is cheap because that is cheap for me even with a bad exchange rate. It says free shipping but im guessing thats only within America.

Yea, you're right. Sorry about the newegg links, I guess they don't do you any good. I'd try to find some locally.

How's life in New Zealand? I lived there for a couple years about 10 years ago. I'd love to make it back sometime. Sorry to stray off the subject.

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I ran the memtest86 for 7 hours and it produced no errors. Does this mean that the RAM is definitely not the problem or could it still be?

I have also though about a faulty power switch sending incorrect signals to the motherboard. I will try a different power switch as i am sure i have one somewhere among my computer junk.

NZ is a great country to live in :) I would highly recommend you find your way back here sometime :)

The RAM seems to be running correctly. Normally I'd think the PSU would be causing the problems, but the 520HX is a very high quality unit. In fact, I run it in my personal rig. I guess even the best companies do have a few problems too. Hopefully it's just the switch like you suggested. You don't happen to have an extra PSU to try out for a little while in that "computer junk" box do you?

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
unfortunately I have no other power supplies with a 24 pin connector so I can't try that but then maybe i wont need to. The computer hasn't played up in a while. I'm hoping that maybe my last little check of the power switch connector and all the other connectors might have fixed it, although all the connections seemed ok.

I'll see if it plays up over the next few days and then decide what to do.

kajabbi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
hmmm,

time has shown that the computer is still playing up. I have decided it seems to be a random event almost. It happens on no particular activity, although so far has never done it on any time period where the computer has been left running for a while. Also when it does it once it seems to be likely to do it several times more over the next day and then it seems to take a brake from it for a couple of days. It makes no sense to me.