Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Useful/Recommended Programs for Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2010 9:02:44 AM

Hey everyone. I am a first time builder and overclocker. I just finished my first build:

i7 930
asus p6t
msi cyclone gtx 460 1 gb
6 gb corsair 1600 cas 9 Ram
750 antec ea earthwatts

I was wondering if I could get recommendations for programs that are valuable to download and install that will help me monitor the stability of my CPU, GPU, and Mobo and that will help me overclock. I have heard of GPU-Z and Coretemp? Anyways, overall I just need a lot of help and would appreciate anyone's recommendations for the programs I should download and install. Thanks everyone!
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 12:09:31 PM

Those are two of the top ones. I would also dl prime 95, 3Dmark06 or vantage. Asus probably includes some OC software like most mobo manufacturers, but this is mostly caca and may cause instability itself.

The tried and true method of BIOS overclocking is still the method most recommended.
I would go ahead and ballpark your CPU overclock with the ASUS stuff, then set the values in the BIOS. Then remove the ASUS OC software from your machine and tweak to your heart's content.

msi has great software for overclocking video cards so I would go ahead and grab that too.
m
l
September 20, 2010 5:23:43 PM

buzznut said:
Those are two of the top ones. I would also dl prime 95, 3Dmark06 or vantage. Asus probably includes some OC software like most mobo manufacturers, but this is mostly caca and may cause instability itself.

The tried and true method of BIOS overclocking is still the method most recommended.
I would go ahead and ballpark your CPU overclock with the ASUS stuff, then set the values in the BIOS. Then remove the ASUS OC software from your machine and tweak to your heart's content.

msi has great software for overclocking video cards so I would go ahead and grab that too.

do prime 95, 3Dmark06, and vantage all do the same thing to check stability of your overclock?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 100 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 5:49:56 PM

Firstly, CPU and GPU OC stuff is a bit different...

CPU monitoring: Real Temp and HWMonitor plus CPUZ for spec check
CPU stress test (stability): Intel Burn Test (Or LinX) which runs linpack and maximizes the temps. Running at the highest RAM usage possible will give a good indication of overal stability. 15-20 passes should suffice.
Prime95 is the other one I'd recommend. You can run large or small FFT which don't work the RAM much so you can focus on CPU stability if you're having an issue with Intel Burn Test, this way you'll know if it's just the RAM that needs some tweaking.
Memtest86+ is a good way of checking RAM.

For GPU, MSI Afterburner is pretty universally accepted for being an excellent tool. Many manufacturer's have their own versions for OCing GPUs but Afterburner is quite a nice easy to use tool. For monitoring I'd suggest a combination of Afterburner and GPUZ, which will give a full temp sensor readout. Afterburner shows GPU temp but in GPUZ you can usually see more like VRAM and VRM temps, which are often the limiting factor in OCing. For stability checking, either Kombustor (comes with Afterburner) or FurMark will do the trick. They greatly increase the stress over even the most demanding games, which can be a little misleading at times but it's still a great tool.

3dMark Vantage is a good benchmark tool, but not so much meant to be a stability test. You can easily check GPU and CPU OC results by running the suite. The proffessional version also adds more benchmarks for memory and HDDs I believe.
September 20, 2010 10:42:56 PM

thanks for the help everyone
m
l
September 20, 2010 10:43:12 PM

Best answer selected by kosaku30.
m
l
a c 155 K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 9:48:04 PM

I also include OCCT as I use it as a 60 minute alternative to Prime 95's overnight runs. Still use P95 for the final stability check but the 1 hr OCCT run saves a lotta intermediate time as I notch up the speed in increments.

Also look at EVGA Precision and Asus has some nice brand specific voltage and other tweaking tools.
m
l
!