Weird issue with P5B Deluxe WIFI-AP

Khalinsar

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hi,

I have an Asus P5bB Deluxe Wifi-ap. Yesterday I opened my case and gently removed the dust from the fans. I turned the PC on and everything went fine. After several hours I put the PC on standby and left my house. When I came back, a couple of hours later, I turned the PC on again, I remember noticing the fans started working, however there was no image and neither the mouse nor the keyboard were working. So I pressed the reset button. When it rebooted, I got this message:
"CMOS Checkum Bad
Overclocking Failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system
Press F1 to run Setup. Press F2 to load default values and continue."

I had never seen this message before. Also, I did not do any overclocking, neither did I mess with the BIOS setup!
I pressed F2 and everything went OK. Everything works great, the system is stable and all... but now, whenever I select the "Restart" option in Windows XP, the PC turns off and then turns on again, instead of simply restarting without turning off before. Sometimes, when I turn it on, it turns on, the fans turn on, but a couple of seconds later, it turns off for like a second and then it turns on for good.
What is going on? Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I tried updating the bios (it was 1216 before and I flashed it to 1238) and it didnt work. I also tried clearing the CMOS, and it didn't work. When I cleared the CMOS, the only difference was that I got the error message again, which didn't appear again after pressing F2.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
What Causes CMOS Checksum Bad Errors?
There are usually three main reasons that a CMOS Checksum Bad Error has occurred. They include:

CMOS Battery not functioning properly
Your BIOS has been updated (either by you or possibly a virus)
The computer was shut down improperly (e.g. shutting off the computer's power without first shutting down the computer (MS Windows requires you to shut down your computer before shutting off the power).
Situation Remedies
If you have encountered this error and would like to fix your computer, here are some remedies for each situation:

CMOS Battery Not Functioning Properly: If you suspect your CMOS battery is not functioning properly you can easily change it. Before changing your battery, reboot your computer to make sure that the error still exists. If it does, go into your CMOS and write down all of the settings. If all settings are lost, you can usually get them from your computer manufacturer. Now locate the battery and remove it, you might need to consult your computers manual or tech support to remove your battery. Take down the CMOS batteries information such as volt, size, etc. Once you have your new battery, you can replace it and reenter your CMOS settings. If your battery was the cause of the CMOS Checksum Bad Error, you should have remedied the problem.

Your BIOS has Been Updated (either by you or possibly a virus): If your BIOS has been updated recently, your CMOS settings may have become reset. Make sure that the values entered in the BIOS are correct or simply reset them to the default settings. If you believe that a virus updated your BIOS settings, run a virus scan and make sure that the BIOS settings are back to the default.

The Computer Was Shut Down Improperly: Sometimes when running MS Windows, if you shut down your laptop or desktop without first properly shutting down your operating system it will corrupt the CMOS settings causing the CMOS Checksum Bad Error. You can easily avoid this error by making sure that you completely shut down your computer before turning off the power. Usually this entails going into the Start Menu/ Turn Off Computer/ Shut Down. If you received the error, shut down the computer properly, if this is the cause of the error, the error message will not return.

Bookmark What is a CMOS Checksum Bad Error?

Latest Blog Posts
Windows 7 Forum
Boston College: Ability to Use a Command Line is a Sign of Criminal Activity
Google Hacked?
Recycle your old phone – Make some money, and save the environment too!
SourceForge vs. Freshmeat
Fastest Web Browser: Google Chrome
New Webmaster Forum
Ubuntu Security Tools
Terrorists Go Hi-Tech
How to Dry a Cell Phone That's Come in Contact with Water