Sign in with
Your question

DX10 & DX11

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2009 10:25:36 AM

I'm considering to buy a graphic card that will last me for at least 2-3 years(285gtx in mind). The problem is the news about DX11 is all over the place and I'm not sure if i should hold back and wait for it. I'm kinda stuck in the middle because I'm using a 7600gt now on 19" monitor. It can play the latest games but really...not smooth. Some games I have to run at 1024x768 but still not entirely smooth. Should I just wait? Sorry if my concern seems ridiculous to some but i couldn't shake it off.

More about : dx10 dx11

March 21, 2009 10:46:44 AM

used the search button and i got my ans. lol it happens sry
March 21, 2009 12:19:23 PM

don't worry and yeah wait if you really want direct x 11 if not go for it, but don't start playing the waiting game.....it never ends,trust me on that.

I ended up buying a gtx 280 a month ago and I cant be happier!
Related resources
March 22, 2009 4:49:15 AM

ADM-86 said:
don't worry and yeah wait if you really want direct x 11 if not go for it, but don't start playing the waiting game.....it never ends,trust me on that.

I ended up buying a gtx 280 a month ago and I cant be happier!

How can we trust you since you already recently bought GTX 280? Lol! :kaola:  (just kidding) :D 
March 22, 2009 5:19:44 AM

Welcome to the tomshardware forum since you are a newbie. :) 

The search button can give you many quick good answers and you will see that your own questions had actually already been asked for many times and the thread that you made could already exist so this is why the forum suggest you not to make the same thread again in order to avoid the conflict and use the search button as the first thing before you proceed with these actions.

Just a little nice tip for you. Enjoy! :) 
March 22, 2009 10:28:18 PM

DX11 isn't finalized yet, and I haven't heard rumors of any DX11 cards yet.
March 22, 2009 10:48:28 PM

Well, at least for now there are Windows Vista beta with DirectX 11 beta which already been released.

According to ATI roadmap, DX 11 cards could come within only 5 months or in June or July 2009. There are many rumors about Radeon HD 5870 or ATI RV870 which many people believes that it will support DX 11. Microsoft had also sent technical preview of DX 11 to ATI and NVIDIA since last November of 2008. Waiting should not be a bad thing as long as it does not hurt you. :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 1:18:16 AM

Stiill, with XP still around (and thus, games being made DX9 for one path, and an optional path for DX10+), I still don't see strong support for DX11 in the works.

I'll say it again, until DX10+ is ported to XP (and again, there is no reason why it can't), or XP drops to under 20% market share, you won't see devs abondon DX9 (the common standard) for a DX10+ only path (loss of overall sales that way, which no one wants :D ), so DX11 won't see any more support then DX9 did.

Having Windows 98 support up to DX 9.0c helped grow DX, as devs didn't need to worry about legacy systems when ME/XP came out. That isn't the case now.

In short, a 285 should be plenty for two years or so.
March 23, 2009 1:19:39 AM

Buy a GTX 260, save the rest, and when DX11 comes out, upgrade.
March 23, 2009 3:50:38 AM

i also go for geforce gtx260.

why are you guys so excited about dx11 cards ? i think dx11 is backward compatible with dx10 (but i don't know correctly). so, in that sense you don't need to have a dx11 card to play dx11 games. and dx10 cards will finely play dx11 games. it's just like updating from dx8 to dx9.
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 6:13:30 AM

cryvidia1191 said:
i also go for geforce gtx260.

why are you guys so excited about dx11 cards ? i think dx11 is backward compatible with dx10 (but i don't know correctly). so, in that sense you don't need to have a dx11 card to play dx11 games. and dx10 cards will finely play dx11 games. it's just like updating from dx8 to dx9.

This is only partially true. ATI, having DX10.1 will actually have an advantage over a plain DX10 card in that even tho a DX10 card may make use of most of DX11 what truly is DX10.1 or DX11 will be emulated, and obviously not HW driven, which will show a difference . Also, if this was completely true, then again, ATI's tesselation unit will work for games that have it, whereas nVidia wont have anything for it, tho, again, Im not so sure ATIs tesselation will work either
March 23, 2009 9:30:47 AM

guys is DirectX 10 supported only by Vista?? i heard its also compatible with windows XP aswel....is this true o r they jst rumors???

cheers ppl! :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 9:41:27 AM

Vista and W7 only. It all has to do with how it interacts with the kernel
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 11:47:41 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Vista and W7 only. It all has to do with how it interacts with the kernel

Which was done intentionally in order to drive sales of Vista. Sadly enough, its done the exact opposite of what it was intended...

And no, because NVIDIA cards lack a Tesselation unit, and because M$ now states that EVERY feature of DX must be supported for a card to be DX complaint, DX10 cards will not be DX11 capable. Backward DX11 capable simply means a DX11 card can execute DX10 (duh?).

And as I explained above, there won't be a massive move to DX11 anyway.
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 3:12:02 PM

There will be DX10.1 emulation available, so nVidia can do it, at a cost. Ill say this. Since nVidia wants us to crawl ahead instead of embrace the newer capabilities , itll die a quick death now, since theres soon to be a 3rd player, and for some reason, Im thinking Intel wont be lacking in these abilities, so, that leaves nVidia odd man out, and hurting. Just a hunch. I believe having Intel in the mix will put an end to this foolishness, and W7 will kickstart a new direction, as theres just too many things coming for gaming in W7, and cant and wont be ignored, and xp will die a slow death, but quicker than many think. Its just my opinion, but once we see W7's abilities in full whether its in overall IQ or memory savings, or a number of other things, MT etc, people will forget xp
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 3:56:45 PM

Technically, Intel would be the 4th company in the GFX market. I just tested a S3 530 GT, which is around the capabilities of a ATI 4670 (only $30 cheaper :D ).

Back on track, you are again ignoring the point: all software companies will code to ensure maximum compatability (maximum possible sales). And even if Win7 is more optimized then Vista, the lowest common denominatior is WinXP and DX9.0c. Every program will be coded for that standard first, with any other newer features as add-ons. (Example, CoH was the first DX10 game, and added DX10 capable shaders after the game shipped, Crysis DX10 was almost identical to DX9, etc).

Again, the fact DX9 will be the dominant code path, DX10 will be the top level the majority of cards will support, and DX11 will be the new highest DX level is going to cause major headaches. No company will put forth the effort to support three entirly seperate code paths, or abandon DX9 at the expense of sales.

XP will not die, because the majority of home users/businesses will not switch. Unlike previous OS's, even with Win7, M$ can't make a case why a switch to Win7 is needed, and the typical user will wait a bit after the disaster Vista was. If M$ really wants to sell a new OS, make it quicker then XP, as well as more stable.
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2009 4:06:26 PM

DX11 is an extension of DX10.1, which is DX10, so there wont be a massive amount of coding, other than having a DX9 code path, which we already have, just like a DX8 on down, tho I think DX8 is the lowest, so in essense, theres no more coding required now than there was, just additions if DX11 is wanted, and those additions eliminate a few DX10 codings as well. A trade off, if you will, or, nothing more to do, just more gained.
March 24, 2009 2:09:03 PM

"GeForce GTX 300
According to reports, the GT300 series will make its debut around the end of 2009 on a 40 nm fabrication process and will be incorporating DirectX 11 and Shader Model 5.0"

I got this from wikipedia. Is it true? end of 2009? Sigh. What a looooooooooong wait.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 2:31:51 PM

Yep, as W7 and DX11 comes Q3 I think. ATIs 8xx comes possibly a bit earlier, tho we will see
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 3:11:48 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
DX11 is an extension of DX10.1, which is DX10, so there wont be a massive amount of coding, other than having a DX9 code path, which we already have, just like a DX8 on down, tho I think DX8 is the lowest, so in essense, theres no more coding required now than there was, just additions if DX11 is wanted, and those additions eliminate a few DX10 codings as well. A trade off, if you will, or, nothing more to do, just more gained.

Just because a few extra libraires were added doesn't mean it isn't a lot of coding to implement some of the features. And again, a DX10 card won't be able to do DX11; thats like saying a DX7 card can run a DX9 game with missing features.
!