How can a stepping code change

I have and Intell E8500 and the stepping code as reported by CPUZ has changed from C0 to E0. Is this even possible? I wouldn' t have thought so.

Thanks for your help

Travis
6 answers Last reply
More about stepping code change
  1. It might be possible if you were using an old CPUz which does not reconize E0 stepping, then updated to a newer CPUz.

Or possibly your motherboard BIOS does not support E0 stepping(revision) and you updated motherboard BIOS
  2. no!
    the software changed! i second flying
  3. I just realized my mistake!!!!! I am deeply embarassed and aplogize to this forum. I had forgotten stepping code of my own CPU and CPUZ was telling me the truth (of course). My Apologies.

I am new to this forum but not to computers as I worked for NCR for ten years and DEC for 30 years. However, PC's are a little different from the systems I worked on and managed.

I am having trouble overclocking an Intel E8500 to 4.0 ghz with out it getting what I consider too hot. At 4.0 ghz it will idle at about 45 C and top out at 51 to 52 C. Is this to hot.

I have increased the front side bus to 422 X 9.5 ti get 4.0 ghz. It won't run. However Gigabute Easy Tune 6 will make it run at 4.0 ghz. Can any one help.

Warm Regards

Travis
  4. pilot232 said:

I am having trouble overclocking an Intel E8500 to 4.0 ghz with out it getting what I consider too hot. At 4.0 ghz it will idle at about 45 C and top out at 51 to 52 C. Is this to hot.

No. I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz. Prime95 load temps are 61 C - 65 C. And I have a Q9550 also OC'd to 3.6 GHz. It's load temps are 58C - 61 C. I hae the thermal alarms on my motherboards set to go off at 70 C.

Sticky at Overclocking|CPu's:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide
  5. I'm happy once it doesn't hit 68-70 after hours of Prime, it's a relatively safe assumption that your CPU won't be pushed that hard for that long without breaks in regular usage.
  6. Thanks to all for your answers. I'm new to overclocking.

Travis
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs