Sign in with
Your question

Hangs before POST

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2009 5:56:00 AM

I recently updated my BIOS, my video card drivers, as well as my network and storage drivers. I also bought 4 WD 1TB Drives.

Here is my configuration.

AeroCool Zerodba 620W PSU
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon FX-62 2.8GHz Dual Core
2GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
Gigabyte Geforce 7950GX2
2 WD 74GB Raptor Drives
4 WD 1TB Drives
2 Hard Drive coolers
Sony DVD drive

Here is what happened.

I bought a new case for space. I installed all the drives, booted up the computer. Was having a little bit of a RAID issue, so I decided to update BIOS, and after I flashed the BIOS in windows using the ASUS utility, I also updated my nVidia drivers (storage, network, and video). Upon restart, I started getting constant BSOD's. Eventually, I went into the BIOS, and I looked through all of the settings and nothing seemed out of place. I don't remember what caused it, but about a week ago my computer stopped booting up. The computer would power on, fans, hard drives, cd drive, but that as far as it would go. Nothing showed up on screen. Not POST beeps. I reset the CMOS, and it booted as normal. Gave me the message that the CMOS had been reset to default - F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup. If I press F1 it finishes POST and moves on but I then get the error Disk Read Error. CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart. I restart and it hangs before POST again. I then reset the CMOS and try again, this time going into the BIOS and changing the boot order, and enabling RAID. F10 to save and exit, restarts, and hangs before POST. I did this about 20 times before it finally, for no apparent reason booted into windows. It ran mostly normal for about a week, then today I got a BSOD, and it hung at the BSOD for a long time, then it finally restarted and hung before the POST again. I have been unsuccessful at getting it to boot into Windows.

Here is what I have done today. I removed the RAM and cleaned it, reseated it - no change. I removed the RAM and I get no ram POST beeps. I reseated the RAM in the other slots - no change. With the RAM in place, I removed the video card - no change. I unplugged the extra hard drives to see if the rails were overloaded - no change.

Also, when the post actually completes the RAM test shows a different number than the RAM installed by a couple hundred bytes. *EDIT* I reset the CMOS and checked the RAM in the BIOS. It says : Installed 2048MB Usable 2047MB.

I have two thoughts here. Either the new BIOS version isn't functioning right and is causing problems or my RAM has gone bad.

What do you all think?

More about : hangs post

a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2009 10:10:07 AM

You've tried swapping your sticks around or using one of them at a time right? From what you describe, it probably is the RAM.
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2009 3:23:00 PM

Try reflashing the bios not in Windows.
Either use a floppy disk if you still have one or the Asus bios update from within the bios.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2009 3:26:12 PM

There are other processes going on in Windows that may interfere with the bios update. It is recommended not to flash in Windows because of that.
August 4, 2009 3:37:53 PM

r_manic said:
You've tried swapping your sticks around or using one of them at a time right? From what you describe, it probably is the RAM.

I have tried swapping them in the slots they were in, in the two free slots, and I tried them one at a time in all of the slots separately. I tried this after I posted, don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. I tried every combination of RAM that I could imagine.

When there is no RAM in the system, I get post beeps within seconds of power up. One long, Three Short. AWARD BIOS.

Also, the BSOD that caused this most recent crash, although I didn't get the codes associated with it, said, "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

August 4, 2009 3:40:58 PM

evongugg said:
There are other processes going on in Windows that may interfere with the bios update. It is recommended not to flash in Windows because of that.

I have tried reflashing the BIOS in the BIOS. For some reason, it doesn't work. I get all the way to the end, and then it tells me some error - that is if it reads the new BIOS. Sometimes it tells be the .bin file isn't a bios file, even though it should be.

Ugh, I hate computers, lol.

UPDATE. I tried to flash the BIOS again, from inside the BIOS (had to reset the CMOS to even get into the BIOS). Anyway, the BIOS files check, and when it finishes checking the BIOS I am going to install, it tells me there is no boot file.
August 7, 2009 7:49:50 PM

I have now replaced the RAM, and I am still in the same boat.

I get one reboot per reset of the CMOS.

Any ideas?
August 20, 2009 3:49:14 AM

Anyone?
August 20, 2009 11:50:18 PM

Just curious and you don't have to answer but what do you do with 4TB's of space? Wow!
August 21, 2009 12:02:02 AM

Well, I am trying to set it up in a RAID 5 array. That's where this whole mess came from. The array wasn't working right, so I updated my drivers and my bios, which made more problems than I originally had.

I want to set the computer up to be a server in my apartment - mostly to store all of my files. I had about 800GB before I bought the 4TB's, and I kept running out of space and having to delete things. I guess I am sort of a digital pack rat.

I still haven't been able to solve my problems. Anyone have any ideas?
!