Looking for advice on fitting a video card (basic stuff)

dulson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi

I have been looking at this website for a few months and as such bought a graphics card based on the recommendations that i found here.

But here is the rub the video care requires an extra cable to draw power from the psu and i have no idea what to do nor am i familiar with technical details

Here are the specifics

7900 gt gigabyte 256mb graphics card with a 4 pin male port at the back which i assume requires a lead to pull my power from the PSU

my system is an;

optiplex 740

Vista Business
Phenon quad core 9600
2 x 250gb hard drives.
PSU 305watts (but it is sustained power not peak power so i am sure that this will be fine)
anything else you need tell me

I bought a 3 way splitter with each with 4 pins one male and two female.

and from this point on i have no idea what to do

I can open the computer and identify most of the components, but when it comes to wires just no idea.

Your thoughts would be appreciated (and maybe pictures if you have any?)

best wishes

Dulson

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Just plug one of the power supply leads into the adapter and the adapter into the graphics card.

gx270_dt_barebone_inside_800.jpg

dulson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi techamanraiden

thanks for the help so far. i have opened the case up and i can see where the card goes and that is not a problem and i can also see the 4 pin connection on the back of the graphics card. and this is where i get slightly confused

is the other end of the for pin supposed to go into the motherboard or the PSU. i have nothing like a 4 pin port on the motherboard

the PSU has a bundle of cables coming out of it that all slot into different components and the only spare is a clip with the word p7 attached.

lastly when you say adapter to you mean the three way splitter

be patient i have little knowledge of this subject and maybe an arrow key pointer at the part would be very helpful

thanks

dulson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Ok i have found out exactly what i need i have a sata PSU and the graphics card is a 4 pin molex. so i need a 15 pin male sata to 4 pin female molex adapter.

Guess what it is impossible to find in the UK the only place i can find them in America.

But the search will have to go on.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
heh, no, you don't need or want to convert the sata lead from the PSU to molex for the graphics card

you should plug a 4 pin molex from the psu directly into the molex connector on the video card

dulson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
hey mtyermom

No what i said was true. the sata PSU has no 4 pin molex so i bought an adapter from the only place i could find in the UK. 15 pin male sata to 4pin female molex

problem finally solved

fx 5200
to a
7900 gt

fantastic difference