Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i7 950 Overclock on air ?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2010 3:40:10 PM

Hi just want to no what is the most I can go up to with a i7 950 overclock stable on air cooling the 2 coolers am looking at are Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B and Thermalright Venomous X I was interested in the Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator But to big and kinda heavy.
September 21, 2010 12:37:26 AM

shadowman007 said:
Hi just want to no what is the most I can go up to with a i7 950 overclock stable on air cooling the 2 coolers am looking at are Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B and Thermalright Venomous X I was interested in the Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator But to big and kinda heavy.

First the cooler....I am not sure about the Venomous X, but I use the thremalight 120 eXtreme Rev C and couldn't be happier with it. I haven't researched the Venomous X. The local PC shop here actually stocks the 120, in this poh dunk town, so I got it. It is big, but easy to install, very easy, and works even easier....fired right up first try and temps dropped like crazy. Also it has a push/pull configuration that I am using. I am not sure about your case and mobo, but on mine the pull fan lines right up with the 120mm case exhaust fan and sucks all that nasty heat right out of the case.

As to speeds to attain, I would say 4.0 - 4.2 is in range. I am running a 930 with the Thermalight at 70C +/- depending on ambient case temp.
September 21, 2010 1:40:36 AM

If you have an after market cooler you can probably get .5+ =p....
Related resources
November 10, 2010 10:23:50 AM

i read this one dude got his to 4.6 ghz but only in morning (amb temp) but 4.4 ghz if you want to push it (air cooling)
November 11, 2010 2:38:45 PM

I'm using the Megahalems Rev. B, and I've got my i7 930 up to 4GHz at 1.4v. Temperatures sit around the 40s C idle, and 60s-70s C under load.
!