Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Amd phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3200mhz running on 800MHZ?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 27, 2009 12:19:22 AM

Ok so heres the specs that matter:
I have as stated in the thread a Amd phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3200mhz processor
A Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P mainb
4x 2 gig OCZ memory ( OCZ3N1800SR4GK, as stated to be supported on the gigabyte site for this mobo)
and a 600 w power suply (500 req)

On the CPU-Z link listed here for overclocking http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=355...

The stock core speed should be 3.2GHz (duh) with 1.344 V core voltage.

My own List on CPU-Z ( witch i aquired becous the system was slow)
shows @stock the core voltage at 0.93V (i did put it up to 1.355 to no avail)
The core speed it reads however is 803.9 MHz the rest of the settings are the same (asside from the voltage witch i did edit)

My question is simple as such, why is my core running so damn slow, my only gues would be that the memory is currently dragging it, but it couldent be the type since i did check the compatibilitylist.
For info:
My memory has as per CPU-Z the following readouts:
Dram frquency 669.8 Mhz
Fsb:D ram 3:10
Cas 8
Ras to cas 8
Ras 8
tRas 27
tRC 33
CR 2

I never used anny overclocking settings (par of simple and safe settings) and have as such no experiance in such matters, witch is why this confounds me so.
Question is, should i ajust some settings to fix this, or was my CPU simple DOA and should i start shouting at some well meening kid on the phone

Anny help in this matter is greatly apriciated.
I appologise if anny of what i said is ether stupid or misspelled, im dutch and havent put this threw a spellcheck :) 
May 27, 2009 12:30:55 AM

Cool and Quiet is on...

Load the system (prime95 or...) and the values will go up.
May 27, 2009 12:31:53 AM

sounds like its running in power state mode can download this utility AMDPwrMon to change between low med high or
windows vista control panel power options you can also download amd overdrive to overclock your cpu in windows
Related resources
May 27, 2009 12:56:05 AM

r-sky said:
Cool and Quiet is on...

Load the system (prime95 or...) and the values will go up.


I have checked in bios, cool N quiet was on, set it on disabled, no effect
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 27, 2009 1:16:01 AM

Update your motherboards BIOS, without proper BIOS support Phenom II chips get stuck at the downclocked 800mhz setting.
May 27, 2009 3:00:56 AM

loneninja said:
Update your motherboards BIOS, without proper BIOS support Phenom II chips get stuck at the downclocked 800mhz setting.


(homer) DOH!
You where 100% right, i had not updated my bios, shame on me since i did read about it when i was looking for what hardware to buy.
Currently running stable at 3.2 ghz, i did pop my memory up to 1333, allthou it should be able to run 1600 it did not work fully when i tried that, might be that i did not have to put the power up tot 1.9V for that.. dunno.

Ill give my comp a fulll shakedown tomorrow and see if its all up to spec and running fully stable for me its off to bed for a few hours now, been at it all day and im kicking my own ass for forgetting to flash the damn bios.


Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, hopefully it will all come to rights now, if not... ill come back crying like a sad puppy once again.
May 31, 2009 9:55:25 PM

Richard1982 said:
(homer) DOH!
You where 100% right, i had not updated my bios, shame on me since i did read about it when i was looking for what hardware to buy.
Currently running stable at 3.2 ghz, i did pop my memory up to 1333, allthou it should be able to run 1600 it did not work fully when i tried that, might be that i did not have to put the power up tot 1.9V for that.. dunno.

Ill give my comp a fulll shakedown tomorrow and see if its all up to spec and running fully stable for me its off to bed for a few hours now, been at it all day and im kicking my own ass for forgetting to flash the damn bios.


Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, hopefully it will all come to rights now, if not... ill come back crying like a sad puppy once again.


I'm new to bios, what bios did you update to get you cpu to run at 3.2, because I'm having the same problem ?

Thanks.
June 7, 2009 6:22:09 PM

I am and I'm not buying gigabyte again, gigabyte must know of this problem , but there is no easy fix.
a c 755 à CPUs
a c 139 À AMD
June 7, 2009 9:14:20 PM

AM3 came out before the 955. I have read reviews that many AM3 boards may not recognize it right away and may need a bios update. I think it is more of a poor communication between AMD and the board makers. I have used gigabyte before and they make great boards. I would not stop using a brand just because of a board not supporting a CPU that came out after it did. I am sure there will be another CPU that will be released that will have the same type of problem and will need a bios update. The board you have was probably manufactured and sitting on whatever shelf for the place you bought it from before the CPU was even announced much less released.
June 8, 2009 4:12:13 AM

yea nothing is actually wrong with the board or the chip. you just have to update bios with is not uncommon. just a matter of knowing what your buying and doing.
June 16, 2009 3:41:55 AM

million3g said:
yea nothing is actually wrong with the board or the chip. you just have to update bios with is not uncommon. just a matter of knowing what your buying and doing.



You are right, once I updated the BIOS my PC showed the 3.2GHz. I had to use a flash drive to get them to work.
June 17, 2009 9:57:37 PM

Alright so I'm having the same problem but I have no idea how to update the BIOS... I've been looking around online and nothing, I get more and more confused with every site I see. Can someone explain this in n00b language for me.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 11:05:30 AM

Quote:
I would change out motherboards if i were you. This is a known problem with the 955 and gigabyte boards, at least some. Try going Asus or MSI, mine worked right out of the box and never looked back.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC04669ms.jpg


Plez pics are soooo slow to DL at internet cafes
June 18, 2009 11:34:42 AM

lazarofacio said:
Alright so I'm having the same problem but I have no idea how to update the BIOS... I've been looking around online and nothing, I get more and more confused with every site I see. Can someone explain this in n00b language for me.


Hi mate,

you need to go to your motherboard manufacturer website, then you need to find out the exact name of your motherboard as well as the revision(if you look at the bottom left of the actual board it should tell you the revision on the side), then download the latest bios. Extract this to a flash drive/memory pen. Keeping the flash drive in, restart your computer, and during startup there will be a key you have to press(usually delete or F2) which will take you to the BIOS, now if your using a gigabyte board there is an option to open QFlash by pressing F8 or similar. If not there should be an option to update bios in the menu. When you find the utility select the flash drive, then the directory which you extracted the download to. Then select the new file.

I hope that helps, and also that it was too patronising.

WillMagic
July 20, 2009 7:19:08 AM

I'm having the same problem. But I have CnQ disabled, Vista power settings to performance, EPU set to performance, have run several programs and got max load, but am still running at 800 mhz.

I also have a 955, but on an ASUS M4A79T Deluxe. Just flashed to BIOS 1303. Don't know what else to do.
July 20, 2009 1:03:38 PM

amdfangirl said:
Plez pics are soooo slow to DL at internet cafes


you at an internet cafe? i figured you'd have an uber l33t linux box :D  ;) 
July 25, 2009 2:47:55 AM

I am having the same problem with the Phenom 955, but with an ECS board.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 1:22:08 PM

jcknouse said:
you at an internet cafe? i figured you'd have an uber l33t linux box :D  ;) 


Internet cafe = free internet...
February 25, 2011 8:19:14 PM

i've got a same problem with you guys, im using phenom x4 955BE with gigabyte fxa ud5, but i fix it using power management
March 3, 2011 12:18:35 PM

Hey gang.
This is my first post here and the phenom II x4 955 running at 800 MHz caught my . Here's my build/setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGM

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

XFX PVT94GYAJG GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid 64 bit with a program called conky running on my right screen that gives me info concerning the temp, processor % usage, etc. I too noticed that each one of my processors were running at 800MHz. But, as my cpu percent usage increased I noticed so did the MHz to GHz up to 3.2GHz. I didn't like this either. I followed someones advice on this thread and changed the "cool n quiet" disable. Now I am running at 3.2GHz continuously.

Thanks to who ever put that up.

Another thing, I read where this combo of mogo and cpu gives ppl problems. But that was the BE and I have the BG.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--ray--
!