jpdevers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I just built my new system with an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. I used all of my old HDD, all three of which are plugged into SATA ports 1-3. I plugged my old DRU-810A DVD drive into the IDE port. During boot, the Marvell controller recognizes the drive. It is also visible in the bios. However, I can't get a CD or DVD to boot from it, even with the boot string configured with the DVD drive as the first priority. The drive will also only open and close during the initial boot, right after I turn the computer on. I didn't format my OS HDD before the new build, and I am able to get into the OS, but the drive doesn't function there either. I assume this is obviously because of conflicting drivers with the nForce 680i I ran before, and the Intel IDE controller.

Anyway, I need the DVD drive to install Windows. Anyone know of anything I can try, or what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.

r_manic

Administrator
I can only suggest you try other bootable disks, as it could be an issue with your installer DVD. In any case, have you also considered connecting the DVD drive to SATA (use an adapter if necessary).

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

If I remember correctly, you have to set in the BIOS' the Main Configuration Menu, the Sata Configuration as "IDE".

Also you should only install the OS with minimum Hardware, i.e.

CPU
PSU
Graphic Card
1 HDD
DVD (optical) Drive
1 stick of Ram in Orang ram slot that is closets' to the CPU.

You can also get help here from VIP.Asus.COM Forum here.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe+V2&SLanguage=en-us

Hope this helps you out some.

G

I've got exactly the same problem.

I just can't use my IDE CD/DVD drive, it just freezes the whole system if it tries to read it.

If I want to boot on it, it prompts me, and instead of displaying "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." it keeps prompting without anything else.

If I boot on a USB drive, it works, but if I need the windows CD for anything, system freezes until I open the DVD drive ... and then system goes on again.

Really strange, I ordered a SATA DVD drive to test it out ...

fkloskowski

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I am having the same problem. But I did have a BluRay SATA drive and I used it to install Windows 7.

Now that Windows 7 is installed the two Plextor IDE drives that connected to the Marvel IDE controller (this controller only does IDE so there is no SATA / IDE toggle in the bios) are not working properly.

Windows 7 sees them but I have problems reading from the drives. I was able to watch a second or two of a DVD and that is about it. Tried accessing a data CD no luck. Something is wrong with this controller since the problem can be reproduced when trying to boot (no Windows in the picture at boot just the controller).