Sign in with
Your question

Liquid Cooling Xeon X5660

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2010 4:12:15 PM

I have a Dual Xeon x5660 system using the Intel 5520SC motherboard.
I want to know what CPU Block is compatible with my motherboard/CPU as most manufacturers don't list Xeons for the Socket 1366 compatibility.

I allowed myself to get talked out of the liquid cooling and now I regret that.

What have others used to liquid cool their Xeon systems?

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 4:34:53 PM

CPU blocks are listed by socket, so if it is listed as Socket 1366 compatible, it will work for Xeon. Remember, Xeons are (for the sake of simplicity in this thread) higher binned CPU parts with some minor changes vs. their desktop CPU counterparts. So, without complicating Xeon vs Desktop further, you should be able to compile a parts list in this manner.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2010 2:34:45 PM

rubix_1011 said:
CPU blocks are listed by socket, so if it is listed as Socket 1366 compatible, it will work for Xeon. Remember, Xeons are (for the sake of simplicity in this thread) higher binned CPU parts with some minor changes vs. their desktop CPU counterparts. So, without complicating Xeon vs Desktop further, you should be able to compile a parts list in this manner.

The only caveat to this is that you will need an LGA1366 water block with a backplate and mounting screws rather than the desktop push pins to work in an LGA1366 server board.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2010 2:44:42 PM

Exactly. Thats why I'm asking what ones are known to work.
They may use the same socket, but the mounting is different for the heatsinks/cooling.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 22, 2010 5:46:37 PM

That is a valid point, sorry about that.
m
l
!