Sign in with
Your question

New GTX 285 on an OC'd system w/ 600Watt PSU

Last response: in Components
May 27, 2009 4:58:30 AM

Just the other day I went to my local Frys Electronics store and picked up a nice new Nvidia GeForce 285 GTX. I upgraded from an old 8800 GTS 640MB. Man does this card go! However, in this last day and a half, I have attempted to run 3dMark06 about 3 times. Every time, I press the "start test" button or w/e it's called, and my screen goes black for a second, like it's about to start normally, and then my boot logo comes up. I find this odd because I can run Fallout 3 at ultra high settings, trying to max out the card and it runs smooth like butter. So what I am asking is, could the problem truly be my PSU? I ask because i was able to start it up with both my 285 and 8800 GTS in. only the 8800 gts would run in PCI-e 1x mode even though my board supports full 16x on both slots simultaneously. So should I look into a new PSU?
May 27, 2009 6:47:34 AM

Hi

Some may disagree but I am a strong believer in overkill when it comes to power, get it out of the way once and a perform your upgrades without having to worry. But before running to buy new PSU reseat your cards and remove the bridge for troubleshooting purposes. I had a bridge go bad (became too lose), all kind of weird things were happening before I figured it out.
May 27, 2009 6:49:08 AM

What kind of PSU? Brand/Make/Model.
Related resources
May 27, 2009 7:00:23 AM

There are a few good brands worth taking a look at but stay away from the cheap ones or you'll be worse of than you are now. I am a big fan of Antec but I'll list some more for you, I'm sure the other guys will jump in here and help out:

Consair
Enermax
SeaSonic
Thermaltake
a b ) Power supply
May 27, 2009 7:28:25 AM

fallout is a title that is extremely cpu bound. almost all mid to high end videocards pull in the same fps on fallout. so, your gtx 285, isnt being stressed by fallout. i would say you need a new psu.
May 27, 2009 8:09:22 AM

Hvae you tried to install and reinstall 3Dmark06?
a b ) Power supply
May 27, 2009 1:09:12 PM

starams5 said:
There are a few good brands worth taking a look at but stay away from the cheap ones or you'll be worse of than you are now. I am a big fan of Antec but I'll list some more for you, I'm sure the other guys will jump in here and help out:

Corsair (Sorry but had to edit for spelling!)
Enermax
SeaSonic
Thermaltake

I like the Corsair PSU's and will not hesitate recommending that you slip one in and kiss your woes goodbye.
May 27, 2009 5:01:37 PM

No problem on the edit, for the longest I spelled Thermaltake wrong and wondered why I wasn't getting many Google hits when I punched it in. Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
May 27, 2009 5:50:42 PM

Cheers mate. :)  I'm just unashamedly biased towards Corsair as I have one in each of my rigs and they're lovely.
May 27, 2009 5:55:40 PM

I know exactly how you feel, I have a Antec TPQ 1000W in each of my rigs. One 2 1/2 years, the other a little over a year. I must admit everything I've heard about the Corsair PSU has been good, take care.
May 27, 2009 7:33:38 PM

starams5 said:

Consair
Enermax
SeaSonic
Thermaltake

Lets try that again

Best brands:
-Corsair
-Seasonic
-PC Power and Cooling
-Antec
-Enermax (only the revolution and Galaxy S series)

Decent:
-Thermaltake (though note that their cheap ones are terrible)
-Enermax (besides the ones listed above they are only decent)
-Tagan (the BZ series is very good, but all their other power supplies are bad)
-Silverstone (decent, not good and not bad)

Avoid:
-Rosewill
-Sparkle (The reason is all in the name)
-Raidmax
-ABS
-Xion
-Apevia
-Coolmax
-Broadway Com Corp
-Compucase
-the list goes on and on, just stick with the above 2 categories.
a b ) Power supply
May 27, 2009 7:41:52 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Lets try that again

Best brands:
-Corsair
-Seasonic
-PC Power and Cooling
-Antec
-Enermax (only the revolution and Galaxy S series)

Decent:
-Thermaltake (though note that their cheap ones are terrible)
-Enermax (besides the ones listed above they are only decent)
-Tagan (the BZ series is very good, but all their other power supplies are bad)
-Silverstone (decent, not good and not bad)

Avoid:
-Rosewill
-Sparkle (The reason is all in the name)
-Raidmax
-ABS
-Xion
-Apevia
-Coolmax
-Broadway Com Corp
-Compucase
-the list goes on and on, just stick with the above 2 categories.

Can I add Huntkey to the AVOID section, simply because I love this review:- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/668/10
May 27, 2009 8:26:17 PM

Well, it's a Zalman ZM600-hp that i got about 2 or 3 years ago. The graphics cards were not in SLI mode, but rather i planned to use my onld 8800 as a physX card. Now i realize that that is a waste, so i'm just going to sell it. However, the box for the 285 GTX says at least a 500W PSU which i believe i have met. I probably should look at buying a new PSU, it just seems such a waste since, at the time, i though i was prepared for the future. :(  I guess that since it booted once with both cards running that i was alright, but maybe something different is occurring here...
May 27, 2009 8:29:21 PM

Funny, you could probably find a carbon copy of this thread x1000 here at Tom's, and I'll recommend the same PSU's the next time.
May 27, 2009 8:31:13 PM

oh, and i nearly forgot, but each time i have installed the nvidia driver, windows says the program failed. I have reinstalled it and it did it again, so i'm wondering if that could contribute to my computer's shutting down...
!