Throne of Bhaal KICKS ASS!!!!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WOW!!! The Baldurs Gate 2 expansion kicks SOOOOOOO much ass. Its incredible what they did to the game. Its almost like a full version, not an add on.

Anyone else have it yet? Im about a fourth off the way in to it and its surprisingly harder than the BG2. Guess Ill have to wait until I get 30th level. Man, i love this.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I got it the first day it out ^-^ but still doesn't play ToB yet. Still in SoA Chapter IV. I want to carry my char to the ToB. Anyway, I read the blackisle forum and other forums and feel a bit bad since my main char is paladin and it's seem like paladin get very few improvements (I would love to get a paladin who can cast lvl5 priest spell and better weapon and HP). I think BG2 is a bit unfair to figther class since their HP is lower than the core D&D rule. After lvl9 or 10, my paladin only get 3 HP/lvl =(

Nvidia or ATI, it's all depend on what you like and system optimization :lol:

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes you can import both bg2 and bg1 characters

and paladins get the same bonuses as other warriors. i.e. the warrior pools which simply kick ass. My lvl 24 monk has power attack, critical strike and smite. When i use crit strike, i do over 50 damage a hit!!!!! and the best thing about the paladin is the holy avenger WHICH CAN NOW BE UPGRADED IN ToB!!!!!!!!!!

G

Actually, I'm pretty sure the AD&D Second Edition Rules gives the fighter classes only 3hp/level, no CON bonus. So it's not BG2 to complain to, but TSR.

Neema

"G-Force, Schmee-force, I run SGI!"

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I may be misremember but I always think that CON have something to do with HP you get for each level and it seem to me that with BG2, fighter have too low HP (cap at around 175-180 at level 40th) That's very high level and should have higher HP. Again, may be I'm simply wrong ^-^

About the paladin, my main char is paladin but I feel a bit bad since paladin HP is lower than fighter HP (they get the same HP per level but paladin stop at 34th while fighter stop at 40th at the same XP). and also Carsomyr (+6, the new upgrade) is not so great anymore since it is 2H and there are other weapons that 1H and give you similar DMG ^-^ Carsomyr used to be very good especially with its 50% MR and Dispell every strike but still it's 2H which limit the AC of paladin (max I can get my main char to the lowest AC is -9 without spell at lvl 14). Beside, they change the Red Dragon Scale to be magical item so I cannot wear the ring of protection anymore. Well, it suppose to be that way from the begining anyway ^-^

The most annoying thing is the clock of mirror. What is that ball thing that cover my char. It's absolutely annoying to look. But I agree that the way Blackisle downgrade the clock of mirror tough since the old one is too powerful. Anyway, I would love to see an item that prevent you from being imprisonmented so fighter can fight with mage equally ^-^at least not fear of being imprisonmented anymore (like the golden robe of something that we get from the Underdark to fight the liche).

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just a couple of things: fighters dont max out at 175-180, that is in fact very low. if you consider you have 30 levels where you gain 3 hp/ level, thats 90 right there, plus you have over 100 hp from levels 1-10 after consitution bonuses. so you should end up with over 200 hp. also, paladins more than make up for the levels that fighters can gain with all their special abilities. such as spellcasting, and lay on hands. and i REALLY dont think you should be complaining about the Holy Avenger. Have you ever played the pen-and-paper D&D? Holy Swords are IMPOSSIBLE to come by. They kick soooooo much ass. and a -9 AC is very very very low. it is lower than any monster you will every fight in BG2 or ToB. just to give you a perspective.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I know that -9 AC is low ^-^ but still I can get to -14AC with 1h sword + shield. In BG2, the fighter HP is max out at about 180 or so. You can try this by creating your main char to be fighter and set XP to 8000000 to see his HP (I did this to see the comparison among classes). It is true that you will get 3HP/lvl so you will get 90HP from lvl10 to lvl40. But you start BG2 at lvl7 with about 65Hp (I think) so there is no way you can reach 200HP in BG2. I tried that.

BTW, I didn't complain about the Carsomyr. It's a very good sword and very unique. My point is there are many other 1h swords in ToB that give you similar DMG and similar (or may be better) special abilities. I can think of fews

******don't read below if you don't want to be spoils**************

1. Short Sword of the Mask +5
2. The Answerer +4
3. Axe of the Unyielding +5 (this is very cool if you have proficiency in AXE)

I play Paladin and love it. What make me totally mad is the restriction on paladin is so high (compare to figther anyway) but he don't really get very powerful abilities. Spell casting is good but very limited (especially if you have low INT and WIS because put all the points into STR, DEX, CON, and of course CHA). But I guess that the way it is ^-^ If Blackisle integrate CHA into the playrule like PsT, then it would be great. Unfortunately they didn't do it that way.

Beside the 2nd edition make figther weaker than mage at high level. I would love to see NWN with 3rd edition rule. Paladin may get better abilities such as immune to disease & fear. Or may be protection from Evil 10' instead of normal protection from evil which I have to cast so many times on my party ^-^

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Yes but Grand Mastering with weapons is so underrated. My Kensai is a GM with Longswords. I forget the name of the swords, but he dual wields those two health draining Longswords. Add in another three slots in two weapon combat and watch your fighters rip through monsters like cheese.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Actually, I just consult the DM manual and find that the Carsomyr supposes to be a long sword ^-^ I think it will be too chessy that way in BG2. Carsomyr + Red Dragon Scale (or may be Elven Chain+5, I like immunity to normal weapon anf green color ^-^ ) + Shield +4 + etc and you end up with the most powerful weapon in the game with -14AC (or better) and -7 THAC0 (or better) at lvl20+ paladin.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they did take into account cha in dialouge trees. a lot of options are only available if you have above a 16 cha. and trust me. put any high level mage in BG2 up against a simlilar level fighter and watch the fighter fall in undre a minute. chain contingencies and time stops just make the game too easy. hehe.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
That's exactly what I mean ^-^ BG2 make fighter too whimp shall we say. If fighter have higher HP + higher resistance, then the game would be balanced (consider on the PvP point of view). Anyway, it seem to me that at the very high lvl, and with right gears of course, mage will find it difficult to deal with fighter (mage have to have the right spells in his/her disposals for variety of fighters and 1 hit = dead in general). The problem is the hit itself required fine works and tactics. Difficult tasks indeed ^-^ Shall I say (without imprisonment involve since it is not quite fair ^-^) Greater Whirlwind + high MR & high Physical resistance (in case mage summon a lot of friends). Follow by critical strike if mage have stoneskin on + contigency with stoneskin. In this case, timestop will not help much because of high HP, and extremely low Saving Throw, AC and THAC0. Archer would even be better in this case. Anyway, I agree very high lvl mage with preparations would be extremely difficult to deal with.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The mages do okay until a fighter gets within range. One spell resist and it's over for the mage. Many times the mage wont get his spell off in time. A hasted fighter with the right equipment is a even battle. That's why party fighting is so important, the mages only hope is to catch a figher off guard. If the figher is within 5 feet of the mage, he's probably going to be toast. This is why there are so few 1 on 1 duels in the game.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.