Flash Popup Driving me insane!

rollingrock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
So a few days ago, windows was in dire need of reinstall, so I backed up my precious data (read: mp3 collection), quickformatted my drive and reached for my win 98 cd only to find (queues suspensful music) it was gone! It apparently sprouted legs and ran off. I figure, what better time to install linux, so I got mandrake 8.0. Installation went fine (I even managed to get my vortex 2 based sound to work :) ), but these web browsers are killing me. Fonts too small, incorrect layout, etc. I've managed to get most of this worked out and settled on using konqueror but unfortunately there is no current flash support. Everytime I hit the intro page to this site I get hit with a popup to macromedia's site telling me that they cant find a web player that best matches my browser. That's fine, but seeing that frickin window makes me want to drink a gallon of turpentine. Does anybody have any suggestions as to some sort of workaround I can use to at least trick konqueror into thinking that it does support flash so I can avoid ingesting any hazordous chemicals?

G

firstly avoid the hazardous chemicals - the recreational ones are much better!

to sort your plugin problem, you need to have the netscape plugin installed. Konquerer can use netscape plugins. Fire up netscape/mozilla and download it from macromedia. install the plugin as per instructions, and konquerer should scan the netscape/mozilla plugins directory and find it. you may need to tell it to do so through the settings panel. Possibly updating kde to 2.2 may help a little with layout/fonts etc.

I'd seriously recommend updating the browsers from the old default ones. You can download mozilla 0.95 from <A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org" target="_new">www.mozilla.org</A>, and then get hold of <A HREF="http://galeon.sourceforge.net" target="_new">galeon</A> to make it go faster.

Also, I found that mozilla/netscape was rendering fonts really badly. Commenting out some unusual fonts (including mandrake ones) in /etc/X11/fs/config, then restarting xfs helped enormously.