Lost User Password

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
were never performed for this machine.
6 answers Last reply
More about lost user password
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
    account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.

    "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
    > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
    > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
    > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
    > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
    > were never performed for this machine.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Tell her to write it down and to tape it on the bottom of her keyboard, as
    so many office people do!

    NOT!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
    > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
    > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.
    >

    > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
    >> accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
    >> administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
    >> eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
    >> EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
    >> were never performed for this machine.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.

    "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
    > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
    > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.
    >

    > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
    > > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
    > > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
    > > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
    her
    > > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
    > > were never performed for this machine.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Doug:

    I went through the same thing helping my sister with her Gateway computer.
    Bottom line is that, from what I found out from Gateway, it cannot be done
    or it would constitute a security vulnerability in Windows.

    Dave

    > This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.
    >
    > "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
    > > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that
    particular
    > > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new
    password.

    > > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited
    user
    > > > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
    > > > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
    > > > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
    > her
    > > > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery
    measures
    > > > were never performed for this machine.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If no one knows what it is or was, then let her select a new one, that
    she Might be able to remember.
    You should be able to 'As Administrator' change it without knowing the old
    one.
    The NetNut

    "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.
    >
    > "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
    > > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that
    particular
    > > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new
    password.

    > > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited
    user
    > > > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
    > > > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
    > > > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
    > her
    > > > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery
    measures
    > > > were never performed for this machine.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    as you said as the admin you can deleat accounts and
    give them new passwords but unfortunatly you cannot
    retreive old passwords. I would suggest giving the user
    another password .good luck.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP