Lost User Password

May 9, 2004 8:34:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
were never performed for this machine.

More about : lost user password

May 9, 2004 8:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.

"Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 4tnc.4232$ip7.779@news01.roc.ny...
> Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
> accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
> administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
> eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
> EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
> were never performed for this machine.

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:34:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tell her to write it down and to tape it on the bottom of her keyboard, as
so many office people do!

NOT!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
> account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.
>

> "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 4tnc.4232$ip7.779@news01.roc.ny...
>> Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
>> accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
>> administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
>> eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user her
>> EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
>> were never performed for this machine.

May 9, 2004 9:22:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.

"Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that particular
> account and change the password back to what it was or to a new password.
>

> "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 4tnc.4232$ip7.779@news01.roc.ny...
> > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited user
> > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
> > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
> > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
her
> > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery measures
> > were never performed for this machine.

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Doug:

I went through the same thing helping my sister with her Gateway computer.
Bottom line is that, from what I found out from Gateway, it cannot be done
or it would constitute a security vulnerability in Windows.

Dave

> This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.
>
> "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that
particular
> > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new
password.

> > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:p 4tnc.4232$ip7.779@news01.roc.ny...
> > > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited
user
> > > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
> > > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
> > > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
> her
> > > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery
measures
> > > were never performed for this machine.

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If no one knows what it is or was, then let her select a new one, that
she Might be able to remember.
You should be able to 'As Administrator' change it without knowing the old
one.
The NetNut

"Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This doesn't help find out what the password is NOW.
>
> "Mark" <mark@noemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> > When you access the Control Panel | User Accounts, select that
particular
> > account and change the password back to what it was or to a new
password.

> > "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:p 4tnc.4232$ip7.779@news01.roc.ny...
> > > Situation: Machine with xp pro. One admin account (mine), 3 limited
user
> > > accounts. One user has forgotten her password. I see that as the
> > > administrator, it's possible for me to either change the password, or
> > > eliminate the need to use one. But, what if I wanted to give the user
> her
> > > EXISTING password? Is there a way to do this? Password recovery
measures
> > > were never performed for this machine.

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:17:37 PM

as you said as the admin you can deleat accounts and
give them new passwords but unfortunatly you cannot
retreive old passwords. I would suggest giving the user
another password .good luck.

!