boat capt

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I need a cooler that will fit in my case. I have an Intel 950 processor, an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, Mushkin redline 3X2gb ram item number 998805, and a cooler master Haf 932 tower. Any comments and opinions would be appreciated.

I want this cooler to be relatively quiet, effective, and most importantly fit in my case before I order it.

Thanks

Solution
This is a good one, and it fits in your case according to newegg's reviewers. You should be able to find it for ~$30 if you shop around. You should install the mounting bracket before your install your motherboard to the case. If you think you may want to remove it later, make sure the motherboard's cut-out behind the CPU area is large enough. If it is not, you can dremel it larger.
This is a good one, and it fits in your case according to newegg's reviewers. You should be able to find it for ~$30 if you shop around. You should install the mounting bracket before your install your motherboard to the case. If you think you may want to remove it later, make sure the motherboard's cut-out behind the CPU area is large enough. If it is not, you can dremel it larger.

Solution

boat capt

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks Treefrog.

I'm probably going to go with the cooler master 212, but I have a couple of questions:

1). some people are saying change the fans. Add two fans and have a push/pull config. I'm curious as to which manufacturer, and model fans would work and what exactly is push/pull. I believe that both fans are together but going in different directions. Is this the case?

You're welcome.

I'm using the original fan. The kit comes with another set of mounting brackets to add another fan - the "pull" fan. The original fan pushes air across the fins; you mount the second fan to "pull" air from the original across the fins. You can use any 120mm case-type fan(s). If you add a second fan you'll want both fans to be the same make and model to get "matching" CFM and RPM. You may want to wire them together and run them off the CPU_Fan power connector on your motherboard. Remove the fan from the fins before you install the heatsink.

Fan makes and models come down to personal preference. Yate-Loons and Noctuas are usually quieter than CM's, but move less air. Logisys makes LED fans that move a lot of air, but make a little more noise than others. Arctic Cooling has some quiet, medium PWM case fans, but move less air than CM's. Antec's fans come with either sleeves or with ball-bearings; some have LEDs in various colors, and others have built-in power switches than let you choose low, medium, or high-speed. If your rig is sitting on the floor under your desk, noisier fans are not going to bother you as much as they would if you have the rig sitting on top of the desk next to your monitor (and your ears).

Check out jab-tech and SVC for a large selection of fans - I've had good luck with both of them as well as newegg. You can also google for more vendors.