Can't find the correct ram for my motherboard!

Oxx_10

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi,

I have an ECS P4M800PRO-M v2.0 Motherboard. I've read the manual and I am having a very hard time getting DDR2 ram to work with this motherboard. According to ECS support, it must be 64Mx8 double-sided (16 chips).. but I am having a hard time finding such ram!

I have tried several types of RAM but only half of it is recognized, it only recognizes double-sided 16-chip ram properly. But I do not beleive this is available anymore, I tried ********* and according the product description it was double-sided 64Mx8 and everything, I received it and it was single-sided 128x8!

I am looking for a 1GB module, so that I can get two and use up the full 2GB that my motherboard supports.

Any chance someone with more knowledge than me could point me in the right direction? Believe it also has to be Non-ECC and unbuffered :)

Cheers

Oxx_10

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That seems to be ValueRAM however, it will not be good quality. I've been doing some more research.. after trying several types of RAM.

It seems that the type I need is no longer being manufactured, so it is very very hard to find. Any sites that list the type of RAM I need are most likely incorrect.. apprently a few years ago this type of ram was easily available and a few sites are carrying the same RAM which used to be 64Mx8 but the manufacturers have changed the specifications, while keeping the same product number.. so sites like ********* end up shipping the wrong type of ram (because it is now a higher density) without actually knowing it is different. Someone noticed this on NewEgg too (read the first review on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145525 ).

I wouldn't put too much stock in the newegg reviews. I simply referenced the site for the tech specs.

I'm not real sure which ultra special RAM you're referring to, but the kingston I linked is low CAS, low voltage, and is the fastest supported by your board. Your board should recognize all of it. You're not going to get performance increases by paying a bunch of money for faster *special* RAM, that's going to be downclocked.

ECS is a pretty low end board, I hope you aren't spending a bunch to find this RAM.

Oxx_10

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
The motherboard I have (P4M800PRO-M) is known for being very picky with DDR2 RAM, many people have failed to ever get it working properly. I had this problem too so I spoke to ECS about it, they said it MUST be 64Mx8 double-sided.. which is hard to find these days because pretty much all 1GB modules are of a higher density (e.g 128x8 single-sided). The motherboard only recognises half the capacity if you put in higher density modules. I am hoping the latest RAM I have purchased will work properly :)

So far I have spent maybe £100 on RAM, I am determined to get it to work. Once I do I will sell all the other RAM for a bit less than I paid, so I won't lose that much money :p