4850x2 2gb and RAM question

KiddThorn

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi
I am considering purchasing a 4850x2, the 2gb version. I am currently running XP 32bit with 2gb of RAM, and I'm wondering - (unless i have misunderstood something) If XP 32bit has 4gb of address space. With this card and any other components in the system that take up some of this space, would i in effect be left with less than 2GB of available memory?

I will probably find out soon enough for myself 'cause I wanna buy a passively cooler Gigabyte HD 4850, but it comes with 1GB instead of 512MB of VRAM. That extra 512MB is a waste since they only game that can take advantage of it is Crysis when graphic options are maxed out (or nearly maxed out). GRID will get a small boost (at most 1/3 of Crysis), but I don't play that game.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Have you considered the 4850X2 1Gb version? It is available if you search hard. I think this is a very recent release so may be sketchy at the moment. Also if I were you go with the 2Gb version then buy Vista 64 at a later date when you have the cash. I think you can get this for around £100.00 in the UK.

Hope this helps.

I agree with jaguarskx, i think it will assign the system ram last and thats what will get hit.
I also strongly agree with not getting the 2gb card, you wont use all the ramand the hit on the system ram could very easilly give you performance issues.

Mactronix