Video RAM and 32bit

janfpl

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
When I put together computers for friends i usually get a 2x2gb kit because its 10$ more than a 2x1gb but I install a 32-bit OS so they can avoid driver problems. So they see about 3 or 3.5 (don't remember) gigs of that 4. If I install a video card with lets say 512mb, will that be limited or not used because of 32-bit limitations? Should I be installing 64-bit instead?

Not all of a given card's RAM is mapped to memory for I/O purposes - up to 256MB would be a more typical number, regardless of the size of the card. For a single GPU install, I wouldn't worry about it either way. Though if Crossfire/SLI is in the build plan, I recommend going 64 bit.

Regarding 64 bit OS's and driver problems: It was somewhat true in the XP64 days, though absolutely do~able with just a little bit of planning. Less True in the early Vista days (though cried about to a *hugely* exaggerated level), and now that we've has several years of Microsoft enforcing their rule: "No Windows Logo For Anyone Without Both x86 and x64 Drivers", it's become pretty much a non-issue for new builds. The exception being if a given user/build has old parts/devices they can't bear to live without.