Feb 1, 2009
Hi,

I've been running the following components:

core i7 920
evga x58
xfx nvidia 9800GTX+
corsair 3gb xms3
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W PSU

On windows XP sp3. I also have vista 32-bit installed on a separate partition, but I rarely use it.

I've been having the following problems

1) Failure to boot out of hibernation. The hibernation bar loads to 100% and then everything freezes. My keyboard (USB) is not lit, but my mouse is, indicating that power isn't consistent or something.
EDIT: Today, I got a BSoD after trying to boot out of hibernation. HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

I can find very little information on it and the policy on my parts is running out (well, the return policy, not the warranty). Can anyone help?

2) Erratic shut down restarts. Rarely happens but my computer is definetely not running hot (No OCing, and NZXT tempest 6 fans blowing cool air out of the top.)
3) After erratic restart, my keyboard is often powerless and I have to shut the computer off (since I cannot even select an OS at the OS selection menu) and turn it back on manually.

Can anyone point out any solutions? Is my motherboard messed? Gah! Please help asap, I'd like to sort all of this out.

consid3r

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I will do it later this week but - why memtesT? If my keyboard isn't lighting up and most of my problems are caused by booting out of hibernation, shouldn't that imply somethign wrong with my mobo's ability detect keyboard or something?

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
From what I have seen there have been problems with many x58 boards coming out of standby when overclocked, I would guess it is the same with hibernation.

Are you overclocked and if so does it work when you are at default?

I would try the evga forums to see if others have the same problem and what the evga reps on the forum have to say.

System freezing, restarts, BSOD's can all be caused by faulty RAM. We're just trying to help you isolate the problem. It's always a good idea to manually set the RAM timings/voltage and run memtest86+ on a new build to ensure the RAM isn't faulty. I've seem a lot more DOA RAM than faulty motherboards.