- P6T Deluxe V2
- i7 920
- 12GB Ram
- Dual GTX260 in SLI
- 4 640GB WD Black HDs
- 1 Blu-ray/DVD/RW/etc.
- 1 Standard DVD/RW
- 64 bit Vista Ultimate

However, I'm having intermittent problems with the RAID. I originally set up the four drives in a RAID5 configuration. However, after all of the software installations, I noticed that my performance from my HDs was dog slow. I installed the latest (Windows-version) Intel Matrix Storage Manager which told me the volume was initializing due to one of the disks being marked bad. Well, that took about 24 hours...not good.

I removed that one drive from the mix and ran some HD tests against it, which came back normal. So, I decided to go with a RAID10 setup instead...to get better performance AND to sidestep the long initialization process that occurs anytime a "dirty" shutdown occurs.

I re-installed everything (ugh!!) and boom...the first day it happened again...same drive, except this time in the RAID10 config. Now I'm thinking I better check the HW. I replaced the SATA cable, let it rebuild that volume and left for the day. When I returned, the same drive was marked degraded again. Hmmm. So, I'm thinking my next step is to swap the SATA cables on drives 3 & 4, effectively putting drive 4 in the 3's previous place and vice-versa. My reasoning is that if the problem switches to slot 3 now, then it's probably an HD issue. However, if it stays with slot 4, then it must be a motherboard issue (or a problem with the Intel Matrix Storage Software).

Any thoughts on other culprits? Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I originally purchased a 750W Corsair to run the whole unit, but thought that it was probably an under-powered disk originally. Thus I went with the 1000W, but am having the same issues.

Suggestions? Ramblings? I'm open to any input.

Thanks for the help!

More about : p6t deluxe raid woes

August 6, 2009 11:17:56 AM

After two days of smooth sailing, another drive on the same mirrored pair as the other one that was failing, showed up as failed today. Since I didn't change anything, I'm thinking that the RAID controller (or SATA riser) on the MB must be faulty and was thinking about getting an RMA for this board. Does that sound about right to you guys?
August 19, 2009 11:32:02 AM

Update: Received a replacement motherboard. Ran fine for 4 days. This morning when I woke up, another drive was reported failed. UGH! ASUS!!!! Could it be something else...???
August 19, 2009 3:00:45 PM

Indeed it could! Not wanting to complete yet another RMA, I spent some (more) time searching the net and finally stumbled across this:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036

It appears Intel has introduced some stability issues with its latest driver package. The workaround is to downgrade to v8.8 drivers. I'm a happy camper.

Hope this helps someone who may encounter the same issue.
!