Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on the CoolerMaster V6 GT Air Cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 21, 2010 2:50:41 AM

Anyone own this one? I've seen a number of very positive reviews for it and am considering giving it a go, however I'm afraid the size be an issue on my board/RAM.

My Relevent Specs:
-CM Storm Sniper Case (ie. large, plenty of case depth)
-EVGA P55 SLI (LGA 1156)
-2x2 Patriot Viper II Sector 5

Now, I was looking at the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B- but am no longer doing that because I believe the fan would hang over my memory slots, and the memory DIMMs have high seated heat spreaders that would almost certainly interfere.

Would this be any smaller/compact in its width? It certainly looks more compact than the Mugen- but the RAM heatspreaders sit a good half inch above low profile RAM placement.

My board manual specifies that I seat the RAM like:
O X O X

I am not sure if it would be possible to seat like:
O O X X
In order to make more room?

Any thoughts are appreciated, or anyone else using a large air cooler with similar issues with words of wisdom, would be greatly appreciated.
September 21, 2010 7:58:01 AM

I Have V6GT and and more then happy with its performance. I use a rampage Extreme II Motherboard and have RAM:- o x o x o x. and it fits, although i think i may have had trouble had i had RAM in the slot nearest to CPU, and had the RAM had a heat sink on it..

It cleared the north bridge heat sinks ok. Luckily my case has access to back of mother board so was easy enough to fit. the thermal paste that comes with it is coolmaster branded and is in a small syringe like tube and is grey in colour. Seems to do the job fine though.

People say its loud, but its not loud at all. It only ever goes to full speed when the CPU is at 95-100% which is virtually never.

The fans that come with it are very good, make sure you install them properly so that it is pull/push and its pushing air to back of your case. Also if you don't already have one, it'll be worth getting a 120mm fan to use as exhaust at back of case.

It probably the best looking fan I've seen, very sleek.

Performance wise, the review show it to be good, some people grumble about price, but I think they dont realise its only cheaper buying a different heat sink if you already have fans, if you factor in price of 2 good Fluid Dynamic Bearing fans then you'll find the V6GT cheaper in most cases.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

September 21, 2010 2:13:17 PM

This is my Ram (biggest concern on DIMM 3): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This doesn't seem like the biggest spreader out there, but any thoughts on whether I have any chance of meeting the fan clearance on the V6Gt with RAM like this?

It looks like the v6gt will definitely overlap DIMM 4, but that is no biggie as I can buy a lower profile 2x2 if I get more RAM. My biggest issie is being unable to tell the dimension difference between where the fan will be and the point of contact on CPU plate. Is it an Inch, half an inch? =(
Related resources
September 21, 2010 11:03:53 PM

J_Sparrow said:
I Have V6GT and and more then happy with its performance. I use a rampage Extreme II Motherboard and have RAM:- o x o x o x. and it fits, although i think i may have had trouble had i had RAM in the slot nearest to CPU, and had the RAM had a heat sink on it..

It cleared the north bridge heat sinks ok. Luckily my case has access to back of mother board so was easy enough to fit. the thermal paste that comes with it is coolmaster branded and is in a small syringe like tube and is grey in colour. Seems to do the job fine though.

People say its loud, but its not loud at all. It only ever goes to full speed when the CPU is at 95-100% which is virtually never.

The fans that come with it are very good, make sure you install them properly so that it is pull/push and its pushing air to back of your case. Also if you don't already have one, it'll be worth getting a 120mm fan to use as exhaust at back of case.

It probably the best looking fan I've seen, very sleek.

Performance wise, the review show it to be good, some people grumble about price, but I think they dont realise its only cheaper buying a different heat sink if you already have fans, if you factor in price of 2 good Fluid Dynamic Bearing fans then you'll find the V6GT cheaper in most cases.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

J_Sparrow, or anyone else who may have this cooler, could you tell me how high the PCB Heatsink sits off of your mobo? My Board is an EVGA P55 SLI, and I am not sure if it is considered a very high profile sink, or not- measuring height off the board seems like my best bet.
September 23, 2010 9:09:05 AM

you'll have to wait, my pc's busy right now, in about 6 hours i'll be able to switch it off and measure stuff for you mate.
September 28, 2010 5:28:17 PM

to be honest, no cooler master coolers have great price vs performance ratios (with the exception of the 212)
your case is pretty big so i would personally go with the promilatech megahalems in a push/pull config
do some researching on it
you may have a problem with space
can you remove the heatsinks on the RAM? they don't effect performance at all unless you're overclocking
September 28, 2010 6:04:59 PM

dhongkool1 said:
to be honest, no cooler master coolers have great price vs performance ratios (with the exception of the 212)
your case is pretty big so i would personally go with the promilatech megahalems in a push/pull config
do some researching on it
you may have a problem with space
can you remove the heatsinks on the RAM? they don't effect performance at all unless you're overclocking

I went ahead with getting this cooler, at $51 it seemed like a good value tbh. I looked at Prolima Megahalems for a while until deciding that it was just too pricey after getting 2 fans.

The one thing I consistently read about the V6GT was that it consistently beat other out of the box coolers, but would fall behind by a bit once expensive fans were added to sinks like Megahalems and Venomous X. But at $51, I'd rather have a high quality out of the box solution with 2 fans in push/pull, opposed to getting a $60 sink + 2x $20 fans to get better temps.

Any flawed logic here?
September 30, 2010 11:48:15 PM

I am *very* happy with this cooler choice.

I have not OC'ed yet, but using the stock intel cooler on my i5 750- my cpu was getting into the 80's when running Prime 95.

Installation was a bit of a challenge for one person (and I did myself zero favors by leaving the board in case for the install), but it is currently kicking ass and taking names.

Temps on full load Prime 95 for an hour have not exceeded 50 C

Either way I'm happy with such a big drop in temps, 50 C is pretty respectable if it were going toe to toe with the big boys (Megahalems, Venomous X, Mugen, Frio, etc.) Right?
October 1, 2010 2:05:44 PM

yeah! glad you got it. I've had this cooler for a few weeks now and I still think its awesome. You should be easily able to overclock quiet a bit without noticing much change in max temps! Good luck, hope you get a nice stable overclock.
October 1, 2010 2:21:17 PM

im not sure about i5 but those temps for socket 1366 would be amazing
my rig's running at like 53 prime95 i7 920 oced at 3.66 its 70 or so
what thermal paste are you using?
October 1, 2010 2:37:12 PM

I used Arctic Silver 5 for my thermal paste. Coolermaster included a tube for application, but it looked cheap and I saw no reason to suspect that it was good paste.

I tinted both the chip face and the heatsink surface with the AS5 for 5-10 minutes each, then used the single vertical line application method for the interface. I have never done a cooler install before, so I was concerned that I may not have used enough AS5 (still have 50%+ left even after tinting/application)- but I am happy with the temps and it seems like the goal is usually "less is more" as far as the thermal paste application goes.
October 1, 2010 3:02:54 PM

sounds pretty good
if you wanna go the extra mile get the indigo xtreme
best out there
mx-3 and shin-etsu is also good they'll probably give you a few degrees
!