Budget upgrade - 780g mobo + old psu?

hawkeye_wx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I want to upgrade my Mom's computer to the following (re-using HDD, FDD, and DVD-ROM from her old system). This is a general-use computer. There will be no game-playing. Any comments about the choice of components are welcome.

780g motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4850e (2.5 GHz) (45W TDP)
Integrated HD3200 graphics
2 x 1 GB DDR2 800 ram
40 GB Seagate Barracuda IV HDD (still plenty of free space)
DVD-ROM
Floppy drive

I am trying to decide what do do about the power supply. I had planned on buying the well-reviewed Corsair CX400. However, this system would be pretty low power(<100W most or even all of the time, from what I've read in reviews) and I do have an old 350W psu sitting on the shelf. It's a decent psu... Antec PP 352X(350W, 15A on the 12V rail). It has a 20-pin power connector. 780g mobos have a 24-pin connector. I read the manuals for all my 780g choices and most of them say something like, "We recommend using a 24-pin psu, but you can use a 20-pin." They also generally recommend a 350W psu with 15A on the 12V rail. So, my Antec psu is sitting right on the recommended line. Should I try the old psu or just go for the CX400(currently $38 after discount/rebate at newegg)?

You might have a problem with the old HDD/FDD/DVD if they are all IDE, because modern MBs allow only two IDE devices, usually. Maybe you can buy her a SATA DVD-burner (SH-S223F, $25) and a USB flash drive (a few bucks for a 1GB) and throw out the FDD and DVD-ROM.

Keep in mind that PSUs degrade in time. A new PSU delivering 15A may deliver only 12 or less after 4 years of use. On the other hand, Antec makes good stuff and it may be still close to 15A. Anyway, I'd go for the CX400. It's safer. It leaves more room for upgrades. It may also save you some cash on the electricity bills. A PSU pushed close to max will typically be less efficient (and noisier too).

Edit: congratulations to your Mom, 40 GB and still plenty of free space??? I have 3 TB and I'm waiting for the 2TB drives to get cheaper :)

hawkeye_wx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Floppy drives have their own mobo connector and two IDE devices(HDD+DVD-ROM) can be connected via one cable, so I shouldn't have any problem connecting everything to the motherboard.

My Antec psu has been sitting unused on the shelf for about 5 years, and I think it was only used for a couple years before that, so it really doesn't have many miles on it. I definitely have considered the "buy the cx400 because you know it will work great" line of thought.

hawkeye_wx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

Neither of us have ever backed up any data, although that's probably dumb. Luckily, none of our HDDs have ever failed. Even if my drive failed I have an old one in a box in the basement that contains a lot of my most wanted files.