Start menu and Explorer context menu configuration

The item labeled "Search" in the right-bottom quadrant of the start menu has suddenly gone dead in
the past week or so. Clicking it does absolutely nothing. (XP Pro Sp1, all critical updates installed)

In Windows Explorer, right-clicking an item brings up a context menu which contains the item "
Search...". This item has also gone dead. However, if I click on the search icon in Explorer's task
bar, the search window is launched and operates normally. Essentially 99% of my use of search is
via the right-click popup.

I installed Tweak UI and switched to classic search. It has the identical launch issues.

Clearly, search works if I use the Explorer icon. Search itself is not broken. The problem is clearly
with these specific launch points. Somewhere, structures are stored that launch the search window
from the specific points that have gone dead. Where do I find them? Registry? If so, what specific
key(s)? Shortcuts? Where are they stored? Some other structure(s)?

BTW, the original user ID on the system can still access search using all methods that have gone
dead for every other userid. All IDs have administrator privileges.

Phil Carroll

The fastest repair is to recreate the profile. Login as Admin, rename bad
profile in C:\Docs&Settings, and login under the account needed. Copy/import
back documents, shortcuts, favorites, emails etc.

I discovered that I also did not have access to Logical Disk Manager for the same IDs that had
search problems. That turned out to be a DCOM security settings issue. (Configuring for
SureSync)

When I fixed that problem and rebooted, search also worked. I am guessing this may be
related to the fact that my folders are configured to display system files.

Why did it work from the icon? Who cares?

Serendipitosly, this problem led me to discover Agent Ransack. :)

Phil Carroll