Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hey guys,

I built a computer about 6 or seven months ago, and it's been working fine. Everything is in order, all is well. So I just bought a new keyboard (and speakers, headset, and joystick, if it helps) about a week or so ago, plugged it in, it worked fine (so did the speakers, headset, and joystick). I just went on a snowmobiling trip for 3 days, came back, turned on my computer, and now the mouse and keyboard don't work. I am currently writing from my other computer using the mouse and keyboard that don't work on the one I built. I have one other keyboard that is old and crappy, same with a mouse, and I plugged those into my computer, the keyboard works, the mouse doesn't. So just to recap, because I probably lost you guys.

1. I bought a new keyboard
2. I've had my mouse for a while
3. They work fine
4. I go on three day vacation
5. I come back
6. My new keyboard doesn't work
7. Old mouse doesn't work
8. Both my mouse and keyboard that don't work on the computer I built, work on other computers (like the one I am using right now)
9. Other keyboards work on the computer I built, but mice don't

Hehhe, sorry for that long post. I hope someone can help, this is really confusing.

Thanks in advance,
Koola1d

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
yes they are both usb and I have tried plugging them in when my comp is running, they just sit there dead.

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Actually now that I think about it, I did install new Windows updates. I don't know how I would fix that though...

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
if anyone know how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. I guess when I installed new windows updates something happened with my mouse and keyboard?

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Do you have Vista? Restore to a point before the update was installed. You could also try updating your drivers for the keyboard/mouse. What are you system specs? OS and keyboard/mouse model? Do other USB devices (like a flash drive) work in the ports the keyboard and mouse were installed in?

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Here are my system specs;

Vista
2 GB Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
250 gig hard drive 7200 RPM
x2 Pioneer DVD Burner
x2 Gforce 9600 GT 512MB
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm not sure what my mouse is, it's a microsoft model, lazer. USB
My keyboard is a Razer Lycosa. It is also USB.

I have tried switching the cords into different USB slots, the keyboard and mouse don't work in any of them, but the rest of the USB things work fine in all of them.

Hope that helped, I really want to get this fixed.

PS- I could do a sytem restore, but I don't know how long that would take me back. I'll have to check, but for now I'm putting that as a last option.

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
UPDATE:

Alright, so I found a keyboard that works on my computer (it is PS2), but I just can't find a mouse that will work. I guess the problem is with my computer not recognizing anything I put into the USB ports (and my mouse PS2 port). I have tried USB and PS2 and both don't work. System restore wont work because there is only an option for it to restore to a time after the problem happened. My friend suggested I reinstall the drivers on my motherboard, but I can't do that because I need a mouse to click the install button. I also tried a wireless mouse but I can't install that either because of the same problem. I was going to just open my computer and see if anything came unplugged, but it is just a mess of wires and I don't want to mess anything up.

If anyone else has any suggestions, anything, it would probably help. I'm on the verge of just talking it in somewhere, which is what I probably should have done in the first place.

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

+1

Also go into Device manager in windows and make suer there isn't any problems there!!!

Koola1d

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
USB is enabled in BIOS and the device manager is saying there is nothing in the USB drives. I think I'm just going to have to bring my computer in.