Lian Li PC-V351 and i7 SLI build - Will it fit and is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramzie

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm planning a new PC out which is going to be my gaming box and am really thinking about going MicroATX versus ATX so that I can use a smaller enclosure for more portability. Here is my current setup.

Lian Li PC-V351
ASUS Rampage II GENE X58 MicroATX Mobo
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66ghz CPU
6 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 RAM
1 TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS SATA HD
2 EVGA 260 GTX Core 216 Superclocked cards in SLI
Pioneer 20X DVD Burner
Seasonic M12D 850w PSU
Windows Vista/7

SO...

Question 1) Will all of this fit in that case?

Question 2) Should I go with this setup in this chassis or swap the ASUS Rampage II GENE for a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 and move to a normal ATX size case? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks all,

Ramzie

heb1001

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hi,

I have a very similar build which I finally finished today:

Lian Li PC-V351B Aluminium Cube Case - Black (No PSU)
4 Drive 2.5in Removable SAS SATA Mobile Rack Backplane StarTech.com ID: SATABAY425BK
2X Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SSDSA2MH080G1)
2X Zotac GeForce GTX 285 1024MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Retail
Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM
Asus Rampage II Gene Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express mATX DDR3 Motherboard
Seasonic M12D 850w Quad GFX Enabled ATX Power Supply
Crucial 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Triple Channel (CT3KIT25664BA1339)
2X Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (0A38016)
Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler (Socket 478/754/939/940/AM2/LGA775)
Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control 120mm Quiet Case Fan - 3 Pin
Noctua NF-R8 80mm Silent Case Fan - 3 Pin
1X Thermaltake extreme spirit II
2X nidec gamma 28 blower fan
Old DVD drive.

Q1) Yes, it will fit in the case provided your graphics cards are the same shape with power sockets in the same place as the ones above.
Q2) Only go down this route if you really need or want a small box.

At first I had heat problems and couldn't get much of an overclock.

The Gene northbridge cooler consists of: thermal pad, 1mm aluminium plate, heatpipe, aluminum block, heat transfer compound, aluminum fins. That's 7 interfaces between the chip and the air.

I now have the system running stable at 3.8GHz quiet enough for gaming. At 3.2GHz it is quiet enough for working.

I did the following mods:

1) Cut 80 mm diameter hole in the HDD cage fan grille and add Lian-li aluminium fan grille (which has better airflow than the perforated sheet aluminium). This helps to get the hot air out of the top of the case faster.

2) I tried a few solutions with the northbridge. Eventually I removed the entire ASUS northbridge and VRM cooler and heatpipe assembly. I put a thermaltake extreme spirit II directly onto the northbridge silicon with arctic ceramique. I pulled the heatpipe out of the ASUS VRM cooler and replaced the finned part on the VRMs using arctic ceramique instead of the silicone pad (I'm not sure this was a good idea but it's working OK at the moment).

3) I replaced the 40mm fan on the extreme spirit cooler with a nidec gamma 28 blower (attached with a loop of cable ties to the spirit and another loop to the ninja through some plastic washers acting as a standoff) and attached another blower (with cable ties) to the rear side of the ninja pointing straight down at the VRM fins. This second blower sucks extra air over the ninja CPU heatsink and directs it down over the VRM sink and motherboard. I attached a heat sensor to the VRM sink. I used the Gene fan headers for these two blowers, opt fan 1 for the VRMs under thermal control from the heat sensor and opt fan 2 for the northbridge on duty mode.

As I'm typing now, I'm running 3.2GHz with CPU@40C NB@46C SB@52C MB@34C VRMs@41C.

Some notes:

The HDAUDIO cable for the front panel didn't quite reach the Gene header. I had to use the AC97 plug which is on the same cable and allows it to reach.

You should install the 5 1/4 bay devices first because the thumbscrews are obscured by either the PSU or the HDDs.

You have to plug the left chassis fan in before you install the left graphics card.

You should route power to the HDD cage before installing the PSU or the motherboard. I put the cable in through the bottom of the cage before noticing there is a cutout at the top that would allow you to route a cable over the top of the PSU.

It's easier to route SATA cables to the HDD cage before installing the PSU.

The motherboard can be built up and tested outside the case and then slid in with the exception that you will have to remove the power cables and reattach them. The extra power to the graphics cards is a bit fiddly. Your build has different cards. If the power connectors are in the same place as mine they should be OK.

The cable routing can be done reasonably neatly for good airflow if you make use of the space at the bottom of the case between the front chassis fans and the motherboard tray to route the power to the motherboard and the graphics cards - you end up with a completely clear tunnel from the front fans to the inputs of the ninja and the blower on the northbridge.

I found this to be quite a difficult build mainly because I had to do it a few times to get the cooling right. There are some nice watercooled V350s described on the web. I was tempted to watercool but I want to put this machine in my hold baggage when I travel and I am constrained by weight.

I'm happy with my build but I don't want to ever have to open the covers and work on the inside again!

Skulltrail_91

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Would it be possible for either of you to tell me the temps on your GPUs, as I'm considering a very similar build but with Crossfired 5770s and was wandering if dual GPUs in this case ran ridiculously hot?

Also, is much space between the cards?

Thanks in advance!

heb1001

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
There is a lian-li V352 to consider now which has some improvements and looks like it might be an easier build.

The case only has 4 pci slots which is enough for two dual-slot cards right next to each other. They run hot when loaded but I haven't seen more than 100C or noticed any thermal throttling. (My room temp is high 25-30 ish sometimes).

I rearranged the build I described a bit and removed the nidac blower that was on the northbridge. Instead I turned the northbridge heatsink to face the back of the GPU and put the cpu cooler fan between the ninja and the northbridge cooler. This freed up the space above the RAM slots for some dominator gtx ram.

If you post your email, I will send you a photo of the internals on the tray.

Skulltrail_91

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the reply heb1001,

A photo of the internals would be great! (jonnoy at hotmail.co.uk)

My proposed specs are as follows:

Lian Li V351
Asus Rampage II Gene
Intel Core i7 920
Noctua U9B SE2
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600MHz CAS7
2x Radeon HD5770 (probably Asus)
60GB OCZ Vertex II SSD (Sandforce)
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000
750w Corsair HX750
Sony DVD-RW Lightscribe
Lian Li all-in-one card reader
2x Akasa Apache Black 120mm fans

I know the Gene III has just been released but as I won't be using any SATA3 disks and prefer eSATA for external storage I don't think I will be missing out on that much. Also, I imagine once this has all been crammed in I won't want to open the case for a long time!

I hope to have it done by the end of the month at the latest.

Skulltrail_91

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Finally built it:

Lain Li V351
Asus Rampage II Gene
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.37GHz (160.5x21) @ 1.2V
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600MHz CAS7 @ 1604MHz
2x Inno 3D GTX460 768MB SLI
60GB OCZ Vertex 2 (Sandforce)
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000
750w Corsair HX750
Sony DVD-RW Lightscribe
Lian Li all-in-one card reader
2x Akasa Apache Black 120mm fans

Temps are as follows (Prime95 on 3 cores / 6 threads, Folding@Home-GPU on GPUs and 1 core / 2 threads):

Hottest CPU core: 89C
Hottest GPU core: 76C

I'll post up some benchmarks over the next few days...

avalanche0316

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hey any chance of posting some pics and those benchs? I am building a similar system, and was going to get an Antec Mini p180 but I am interested to see how your build turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.