PSU question

cheeks121

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I have an ancient HP 780n...I want to upgrade my power supply so that I can upgrade my video card.

The power supply that I have now is a ATX 1956D model, its dimensions are H-3.5in, D- 4in but 5 in would probably fit fine, W-6in. I know that alot of the time HP had them custom make power supplys, so my question is how do I find out on the new PSUs what they're dimensions are, none of them say on Newegg, and each manufactuer is hard to get ahold of...So if any one knows how I can find that out or any kind of help, I would greatly appreciate it thanks.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
HP aint as bad as they used to be, if it's an atx case then chances are any normal ATX power supply will be ok.

Can't say i've come accross an HP with a non standard PSU for a few years in my line of work now.

cheeks121

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
My cpu is Pentium 4 1.8(ancient I know) and I'm not sure what you mean by resolution monitor, but my monitor is a Sony 21 inch, which I plan to make my HDtv into my screen once I get a good video card, but that doesn't have anything to do with the power...

Of course you maybe talking about something I don't know, I'll be honest I'm not exactly an expert on all everything I've just done a few upgrades to my pc.

And thanks to everyone for there help.

(although that site only gave dimensions for corsairs)

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

I wouldn't bother with a video card upgrade with that CPU since it will be a huge bottleneck.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

The CPU needs to keep the video card fed with data; yours will not be able to keep up with any card that requires a PSU upgrade.