Win a Vantage Advanced Liquid Cooler from CoolIT Systems

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
You could win a Vantage A.L.C. from CoolIT Systems!

The Vantage A.L.C. unit is a top-of-the-line factory-sealed, maintenance-free liquid cooling solution that comes equipped with a customizable LCD screen. Best of all, this unit includes 3 user-selectable performance settings so you can find your perfect balance between acoustics and performance, and has built-in audio/visual alarms to notify you of potential danger before it occurs.

To enter, simply watch this Vantage A.L.C. Overview video on our YouTube page and answer the questions below on this forum post:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoolItSystems?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/LBNE0ldpzuI

1) Do you own a CoolIT product? If so, which one?
2) What do you like most about CoolIT Systems?
3) Tell us great engineering design ideas. This could include desired changes to our current product line, or products you would like to see us create in the future.

The winners will be selected on creativity and feasibility. Our objective is to give you a chance to mould our organization by telling us what you would like to see (both what you already like, and what you would like more of). No purchase is necessary to enter. Contest ends on October 6th, 2010 at 12:00PM EST and is open to international contestants.

Good luck everyone!

CoolIT Systems

www.coolitsystems.com
1-866-621-8665
marketing@coolitsystems.com

vantage.html

Solution
1) I do not own a CoolIT products, I have heard about the products though and benchmarks have impressed me. But I've heard more about Corsairs H50/H70 more than hearing about even half the CoolIt product.

2) Well I can neither say I like CoolIT products, nor can I say I hate them. I've never used your products before, but from just a quick browse of your product reviews from Guru3d (the reviews I looked at were for the Domino ALC and the ALC ECO) I'm pretty impressed. I especially liked the ability of the ECO ALC to cool the 4.2ghz OC on the i5 750 on the review. The temps weren't as low as I would have liked to have seen but it did keep the cpu under the max temp recommended from intel so in my book thats a win. I bet paired up with...
1. No, I do not. Currently using a Zalman air cooler. For the most part I've heard and read that all-in-one water cooling isn't as good as a good air cooler...

2. Well, the looks of this water cooling unit is very nice. I like that it has that "brain" onboard to sense when things go awry. Easily the biggest flaw of most of these all in one WC units is that if the pump were to die, you wouldn't know. The display is pretty cool too. Also, I'm surprised to see you're from Calgary. I'm your neighbor up north (Edmonton... btw, Oilers are going to kick the Flames' butts! jk ;D)

3. Allow for a bigger Rad! With custom WC loops there's plenty of info available on heat dissipation of any given rad, and for people looking at a small delta over the ambient they need at least a 2x120 rad for the CPU alone, if they plan to overclock. Would be nice, then, to see maybe a more typical 120x2 type rad, for people with a case that would support it internally. You could also potentially allow external mounting with a bracket system (maybe use the 120mm fan screw holes already in most cases) and removeable quick-connect hoses so that for those of us with a compatible case, you can just put the hoses through the holes already there.

I like that you have a GPU cooler too, but again, would be nice to see a bigger rad option.

I think it would also be cool to have a mounting bracket that can fit into a 5.25"x3 bay area, so you can fill that up with as much rad as possible. As an examply in my Antec 902 case I can remove the entire HDD tray, which has a fan on the front as well. This isn't uncommon and is a great place to allow a RAD, if you design it to fit. It could potentially be a 2x120 rad, in the Noctua DH14 set up (2 rads separated by a fan in the middle).

I think this type of HDD-bay radiator idea would be a big hit because many cases come with a modular type hdd bay or two, in the enthusiast market.

So to summarize, bigger rad options, and potentially an HDD-bay Rad.

Here's to hoping I win :D

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Hey Wolfram23!

Thank you for your entry, your ideas are great. We're looking forward to selecting the winner! I just wanted to mention that the Vantage and OMNI may be available in a 240mm radiator solution already. People who are interested in these configurations should contact our Sales/Support team directly, through our website, to inquire. I'm glad to hear we're on the right track with what people are looking for!

And we all know that the Flames will win over the Oilers :) Though I must admit we have fans of both in the office. Makes for an interesting dynamic around here.

Thanks!

- CoolIT Systems

1) No
2) From the video: I like the radiator mounting and the factory sealed tubing connections, that should eliminate the leak factor.
3) From a past water cooling disaster victim, I would love to see a built in backup secondary pump, in lieu of all the display features that are actually moot to a closed side panel case, with no window.

Thank You

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

-None-

I personally don't like the current products at all. I have yet to see an all-in-one cooling solution that provides better cooling than high end air coolers for the price these types of coolers cost based on independent and trustworthy benchmarking. I have run watercooling in my case for about 7 years now and I have always been happy with the performance, but the initial cost is expensive. These all-in-one 'kind' of coolers (this Vantage unit, H50/H70, Domino, etc) are nothing more than expensive case 'bling' without the performance associated with the cost.

3) Tell us great engineering design ideas. This could include desired changes to our current product line, or products you would like to see us create in the future.

Modular cooling: allow to add a GPU cooler (with similar pump design) into a larger radiator (why are these radiators so small when they need to dissipate so much heat????) with quick disconnect fittings. It would be something like 2 parallel loops using the same radiator and separate pumps. A real WC loop would never be set up this way, but in a situation like this, perhaps.

Also, I have been pretty disappointed with the flow rates these pumps provide, along with the small tubing they usually seem to be using. I would think that 3/8"ID tubing would be necessary for better flow and at least a flowrate of a minimum of 400 liters/hr.

Again, bigger radiator is needed; a 2x120 should be the STANDARD for a CPU only cooler. Making it a single 120mm radiator for 'simplicity in mounting in any case' cripples any kind of cooling improvement you are advertising you can make over premium air coolers by limiting the radiator surface area. Either make it a dual-thickness 120mm (essentially a stacked 120mm+120mm with push/pull) or make it a single 2x120.

The LCD control is cool and has some merit, but is mostly gimmicky once you get past the point of the settings and warning alerts. Integrate it with software (mentioned to come) to shutdown the system upon pump failure or temperature limit.

Also, consider a front-panel design for the control features instead of on the pump housing itself...this would be far more convenient.

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
1.)No
2.)Intrigued by the OMNI gpu cooler, seems like an excellent all in one solution to GPUs in terms of upgradability.
3.)Costum Fan Curves. People love them. The ease of Mobo PWM control with the personalization of manual fan pots.

randomZERO

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
No, but I have liquid cooled with other products
Its very easy for someone who is trying liquid for the first time to have very little worry of leaks and such with your sealed system. To early to say but the Maestro software sounds like it will be a nice addition.
The display is nice but again it would be better outside the case as previously mentioned. Im a very visual person so I would like to see some clear tubing with some uv green, blue or red liquid instead of the dull black tubes. Also seeing how the lcd colors are customizable, some uv fans in different colors would dress it up well for us lighting and uv nuts. :hello: People have mentioned the rad being small which isn't an issue for everyone but should be considered. Im currently piecing and picking parts for a new system and when the money comes in around tax time I will look you guys up and see how you guys are looking(and if you made it pretty :pt1cable: ) Good luck with the product line!!

pinkdeath

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
No, I don't. I've never taken the leap to water cooling they I may do it in the future, and Vantage definitely looks very freakin intriguing.

I love that smart cpu cooler. The warning alarm that the fan is blocked would be extremely useful when you're putting the side panel back on a case that has a fan with a loose cable. I've had the ONE cable collide with fans tons of times.

Being someone who doesn't want to make a full leap to water cooling, I'd love to see individual components that could do it themselves. When I was watching the video and saw that fan you have to mount, the whole time I was thinking how awesome it would be if that fan's main purpose was cooling the water while there was a pump right behind it cycling it through. So those two tubes going from fan to CPU would be the only water system present. Combine that with the LCD and speed profiles and you'd have the world's greatest individual component. All the wonder of water-cooling a CPU without feeling you need it on the GPU as well and voiding its warranty. :D

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
no currently i use a stock AMD cooler fan for my phenom 965
the customizable settings and LED are awesome and the upcoming software sounds like a huge plus, i haven't seen any other CPU cooler with software like that. it also seems really easy to instal with the adjustable mounts. and a full set of instructions to back them. the fact it senses when i cover it, thats cooler
i would have made the LED screen more acessable, currently inside the case its kinda hard to get at, although with your new software that will change quickly. the Power for the fan could have been run with the water pipes to the Rad instead of leaving an extra wire in the case, overall not much to improve upon i cant wait to see the bench marks for this cooler.

vixiv

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

No, but I was considering an ECO ALC about a month ago.

Since I don't have one, I can't really comment. The mounting system looks very simple and efficient, though. And users seem to generally agree that the units are well built and should be reliable.

I'm on the bandwagon concerning the display on the Vantage ALC. It's of very little to no use to someone whose case does not have a windowed side panel. And even if a case did have a side panel, people who prefer to keep their cases on the floor will have to direct their eyes away from the screen to check their unit's info display.

Instead of having the display on the unit itself, why not a controller panel that goes into a 5.25" drive bay? The LCD on the Vantage looks pretty small, and an LCD on a controller panel would be easier to read. It would also be more accessible to more people, since it wouldn't matter whether a person's case has a window or not. The controller panel could also have an additional channel(s) to control case fans.

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

for that matter, you could make that 5.25" lcd swivel angles so that it can be read (relatively) regardless of where the computer is in relation to the user.

I realize that means extra cost, but I would assume that outside of a entirely new version of this cooler that is more expensive, this would be a second purchase. I assume you would need a minor update for some sort of data port, but maybe getting that built in wireless to work with it and a firmware update (if that it possible) could make it work for all of the units.

buburuza76

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
1. I don`t own a CoolIT product. I once tested for a friend the Cool IT Domino and i must say i was impressed. Small, effective and perfect for almost every system.

2. I like the CoolIT products because they pretty much offer the best bang for a buck available. I like the idea of water cooling but with this kind of small coolers(systems) that don`t need too much space inside your case. Plus they are sealed, effective and much better than air cooling. Imagine how it will look like if you start building a watter cooling system without CoolIT products and the water gets spilled inside...i don`t want to see that.

3. For the existing products i must say i`m really impressed after reading all the reviews and see that watter cooling is indeed more affordable. Too bad i don`t have one...but thanks CoolIT for exceeding our expectations.
Regarding the future products, I would like to see a COOL IT product that cools off the cpu, the gpu and/or the ram in the same time. Of course, something more flexible in order to do that. But i guess it will please most of the customers if you have in mind to do that. For example i`m not interested in building a watter cooling system from parts but i would prefer watter cooling instead of having air cooling so i`d better chose one product to give me what i want for the high-risk components. Pair this with the possibility to cool off the cpu, gpu and/or ram. Of course this choice depends on everybody`s budget and space inside the case.

Let`s say have in mind the cpu and gpu. I know its design depends on the videocard but if it can be done, then i`m sure you guys will find a way.
I believe that a small display that could mount under the dvd (in front of the case) and a way to set the fan(s) speed would be highly appreciated. For me it doesn`t really count what colour it is as long as i can see all the details properly.
I would set up 2 watter pumps one just like the CoolIT Domino for the cpu and another one that can be mounted just under it for the GPU. 120mm silent fans are a must. Both with tubes that can bring the liquid like this: first fan-cpu-second fan-gpu. Both fans can cool off the liquid more effective.

However it must be flexible enough for mounting both inside the case and on the videocard itself.

Same way for the cpu and memory. In this case i think it would be easier no matter what kind of memory everybody has.
Let`s hope for the best. Thank you.

1) I do not own a CoolIT products, I have heard about the products though and benchmarks have impressed me. But I've heard more about Corsairs H50/H70 more than hearing about even half the CoolIt product.

2) Well I can neither say I like CoolIT products, nor can I say I hate them. I've never used your products before, but from just a quick browse of your product reviews from Guru3d (the reviews I looked at were for the Domino ALC and the ALC ECO) I'm pretty impressed. I especially liked the ability of the ECO ALC to cool the 4.2ghz OC on the i5 750 on the review. The temps weren't as low as I would have liked to have seen but it did keep the cpu under the max temp recommended from intel so in my book thats a win. I bet paired up with my IC24 and that ECO ALC It'd be prettty sweet. So that's the aspect I like from CoolIT. Oh and the other thing is the R&D I can't remember where but I think I saw many things CoolIT did to innovate, like the ability to wireless from another computer change the speed of the pump via a program. So that's another thing, oh and the quietness.

3) In the future it'd be nice to see another fan added on the ECO ALC, that or a better fan like the H50's. Although at the price that it is currently at of 70$ it is still much cheaper than the H50 (much being 10$) so that's pretty sweet. However the fan improvement or at least adding the same fan for a push pull would give a much better value and boost to performance otherwise. (refer to this review: http://www.overclockers.com/coolit-eco-alc-review/ ) Another thing, perhaps I would recommend a joint venture with thermalright? Their new pressure system seems like something you could use to improve temps for higher end cooling purposes, or perhaps use Thermalright fans? They have a very great set of fans especially the FDB series. (especially there 2000 rpm version) I don't know just a suggestion.

Another thing I'd like to see is something like buburuza76, a closed water-cooling line but for a gpu, specifically the 5850! It would take a lot of people's mind of of actually making a personal custom water-cooling cycle. Especially since it'd be so much cheaper than a personal custom one. IF I were to pitch for you guys to make a lineup for GPU watercooling it would be nice to see it as I would like to OC my 5850 much more, but the only other way is water cooling as many other custom air cooling companies like AC offer very few options for decent custom air cooling for the 5850. Plus Many people end up switching to also cool there Vram as well, and that is where I think many people would like to switch to water cooling but do not have the money or want to go to the hassle of getting a custom water cooling line. Plus standard heatsink VRAM cooling just doesn't cut it. So if you could do that :D it'd be a cool thing to see how it turned out. Also, perhaps make another ECO ALC but improve on making it, perhaps, even more quiet or making it run even cooler than ever.

EDIT: Oh and it'd be cool to add a program in with all your water cooling kits to allow you to change the RPMs or fan speed through the program.
EDIT2:Welll... I just checked your site, and wow I did see the OMNI for GPU Water cooling! I think that's great, but something to add to my suggestions is to make a more affordable GPU watercooling option, and have it available for the 5850.
Those are my suggestions and I wish your company the best of luck! (Hope I win XD)

Solution

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
EDIT: Oh and it'd be cool to add a program in with all your water cooling kits to allow you to change the RPMs or fan speed through the program.

Hey aznshinobi;

Glad you mentioned this. CoolIT produces the Maestro E.S.P. chassis control system that enables you to wireless control your Vantage unit using software from your desktop. It's pretty amazing. The Vantage comes pre-built with 3 user-selectable performance modes, but with Maestro this becomes unlimited as you can control your fan speeds entirely through the software. It also controls third party devices that you plug into it, so you have control over every fan in your case and can really maximize your airflow and cooling. It's pretty amazing stuff. On top of that, it comes with 3 LED light strips that are capable of millions of colors, controlled by the software. The Vantage screen colors are also controlled by the software so you can make it all match.

Thanks for your suggestions! I just thouht I would comment on this one bit as we do already have this in place. :)

- CoolIT Susan

andrei45

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
1. I don`t have a CoolIT product but i would like to win one!
2. Sealed, small and comes in handy for a liquid cooling system "on the go"
3. I would like to see some RAM cooling component. Besides the existing cooling systems, they could be improved in noise reduction. For the cpu i would try to do something that could mount on every case and not with that display to be fixed on the side of the case. Not all of us use transparent side in a case. Maybe something to mount in the front or up on the case. Same thing with video cooling. And manual control of the fan would be appreciated.

QFT. I completely agree, esp. with the need for larger and better rads along with a better pump.
I see no logical reason for CoolIt, Corsair, et al to not offer bigger rads for the same price considering we can get 240 rads that can outperform the ALC/H50 for ~$50 (see: http://www.jab-tech.com/Black-Ice-GT-stealth-240-Black-pr-3417.html ). A good water pump should only cost like $10-20. So basically that's $70 or so. Add $5-6 for the fans. Add a small premium for ease of install and CoolIt,Corsair,et al can easily sell this for $90 or so considering people already but this stuff.

Imagine how it will look like if you start building a water cooling system without CoolIT products and the water gets spilled inside...i don`t want to see that.
Yeah right....
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/21736-coolit-systems-domino-alc-leaking-oh-noes.html
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about23036.html
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86991
You have to be an idiot to believe that these things are completely immune to leaking. And for the record, I have been building WCIng loops since ~2007ish and have NEVER had a leak.

PS: I wonder what Conumdrum would say....

In any event, I have no intention of using a CoolIT and I therefore I withdraw all and any entrance in to this contest, some one who wants to play with a ALC can have my chance. I'm happy with my custom Swiftech loop.

edit:
@Susan: Not trying to put you on the spot:

1. Would you mind sharing the RMA rate for your products?

2. Would you mind telling the surface area of the "water block" that is in contact with the CPU and water?

3. Is the working fluid pure water or water + ethylene glycol mix?

4. Rated life of the pump?

I'm guessing you are involved with the marketing department so I realize that you may not be able to answer #2+ of the above questions, but I would like to know the answers to these questions.

PS: I am currently building my own water blocks. Most of the designs I have are beyond feasible currently due to cost,etc but I do know what I'm doing. Currently working on a 3D pin matrix and vapor chamber based water block, things that no one has tried yet.

ragen88

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
No I don't Only got stock and second hand fans for cooling
That it is so easy just wham bam thank-you Ma'am. (ps would be great in Summer in QLD Australia)
A product for power supply and Graphics Card Cooling as I live in QLD I have seen video card fans Melt to one side or just turned into a blob on the bottom of a case so even a cheap and effective Cooling system for either of these items

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Hi Shadow,

I would be happy to answer your questions and address some of your comments.

CoolIT offers 240mm rads, as well as 92mm and 80mm, available for ordering through our website.

You are right - factory-sealed coolers can leak. Anything liquid inside of your computer has the potential to leak. Unfortunately CoolIT had a bad run with one lot of our Domino ALC product a year or two ago, where the product ended up leaking inside of some customer's cases. We discovered that the problem had to do with the plastic barbs used in manufacturing and changed the design of the product right away. We also replaced the product when consumers informed us that they had problems with their Domino. Right now, we have a trade-in program for anyone who owns a Domino ALC where you can get an ECO ALC for $40 or a Vantage ALC for $90 - a significant discount off the retail price. This is due to the negative publicity that the Domino received, which is really unfortunate because it does happen to be a very good cooler. However we recognize that people are worried about leaks and want to ensure our customers are happy, so the trade-in enables consumers to 'upgrade' to a more current product.

1) Our current product line has a less than 0.01% failure/RMA rate, and none of the units sold have been reported to leak. The problems were mostly caused by human or manufacturing error. Let's just say that we've definitely learned our lesson, and the result has been high quality products that are protected against things such as leaks.

2) The FHE water block is a microchannel copper block. The block, which is 2" by 2" (50.8mm x 50.8mm), is larger than the CPU so the contact will match that of the CPU itself.

3) The fluid is a low toxicity propylene glycol/water mixture with proprietary anticorrosion/antifungal package. There is very little water vapour transmission loss and the liquid never needs to be refilled.

4) The rated life of the pump is 50,000 hours.

Building your own liquid cooling setup can be very effective, and is great for someone such as yourself who is very experienced in it. Our products are designed to be easy to use, first and foremost, with advanced features that make them that much more attractive. In the end it really comes down to a matter of what you're looking for in a cooling product.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Susan LeBlanc

CoolIT Systems
www.coolitsystems.com
susan.leblanc@coolitsystems.com

Awsome. Glad to see you guys improved the quality of the ALC.

The FHE water block is a microchannel copper block. The block, which is 2" by 2" (50.8mm x 50.8mm), is larger than the CPU so the contact will match that of the CPU itself.
That seems a little too low on the surface are size imo (51*51 = 2601 mm^2). I don't know exactly how much surface are you gain by having the microchhannels. Also is the flow over the block mostly turbulent or laminar?

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

The wireless control is available for Vantage and OMNI, which tie into the Maestro ESP chassis control software that we offer (or will be offering soon, it is currently in beta form). Maestro also controls third party fan and peripheral components (wired) so you have complete chassis control.

- CoolIT

CoolITSusan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Unfortunately I'm not able to give you much more information as elements of the technology are proprietary, but I can assure you that the water block provides very sufficient surface area and that the microchannels are highly effective.

- CoolIT