Please suggest a power supply

G

Many firsts for me. First post on Tom's and first system build.

I'm from india and i'm using this website as a reference and thinking of buying from there. There is an option on the left side of the page if you want to view the prices in dollars.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Pro
Memory: Corsair Twin XMS2 6400C5 800Mhz (4GB)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAKS
Graphics: Sapphire HD4850 512MB
Cabinet: NZXT Hush/Thermaltake M9
Input: Logitech G1 Combo
SMPS: ??

Guys, what do you think of the build? Is it a well rounded one? or any changes suggested?

I need a suggestion for an SMPS though. I'm not into over clocking. Maybe a few trials but not seriously.

And how about the cabinet? I've read awesome reviews on both of them on the OCC forums. If there are others with similar features but cheaper, do let me know.

For the input, is the G1 worth it? Or is it just an eye candied mouse thrown in?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Do you think you'll ever go with a crossfire setup? That will affect what PSU is recommended. If you don't see yourself going crossfire in the future, this PSU will work for that system:

Corsair CMPSU-450VX
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=477

If you do think you'll want to do crossfire, I'd get this one instead:

Corsair CMPSU-650TX
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2123

I personally like the Antec cases, but cases really come down to personal preference. Just get the one you like. The Antec 300 has awesome cooling and is fairly inexpensive.

http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2052

I guess you missed the part where the OP said he was from India and posted the site where he would be buying his hardware. :pfff:

Promo codes and MIR's aren't going to do the OP any good. We do agree on what PSU would be recommended, but closely reading the original post before posting is always a good idea.

G

Thanks guys! No, I don't think i'll be going crossfire. And coming to think of it, since crossfire is the only difference, I could go for the P5Q mobo instead of the P5Q-Pro, couldn't I?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
You could go for this one for no xfire, it is very good and overclocks very well
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=5695

The P5Q would work as well, for that matter you could go for a p43 chipset if you wanted and save even more, but you are decreasing your ability for stability when overclocking. The P5Q isn't as good as the UD3R. Apparently India gets better deals on asus than gigabyte boards though...

G

Yeah I guess so. Besides, I won't be overclocking that much. Meaning, I would just play around a bit and go back to default settings. So P5Q should pretty much suffice.

And about the Vista Home Premium.. I haven't actually used it till now. Would the media center and aero interface make it worth getting over the home basic version? I'm guessing, since I'm getting 4 gigs of memory, i could go for it anyway?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I'd do it, if you find an OEM version its only like $20 more for Home Premium. Vista basic only allows up to 8gb of ram too, premium allows 16gb if you go for a 64 bit.

G

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it. This is going to be my new rig..

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Graphics: Sapphire HD4850 512MB
Memory: Corsair Twin XMS2 6400C5 800Mhz (4GB)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAKS
Cabinet: NZXT Hush
SMPS: Corsair VX450
Input: Logitech G1 Combo
Thermal Paste: Arctic Sliver Ceramique

Hope it rocks!

Looking good.

Arctic Sliver Ceramique is good - but Arctic Cooling MX-2 or OCZ Freeze might be a bit better.
Thermal Compound Review

Edit; I saw the Arctic Silver Ceramique CMQ-22G 22 Gram Syringe for Rs :313.00. 22grams is a LOT! of thermal compound. Most of the others have 3.5 or 4grams. And Rs313 is too low a price for that much. Arctic Silver Ceramique also comes in a 2.5gram package and I think that price could be Rs313.
Arctic Silver Ceramique 2.5gram USD $4.99
Arctic Silver Ceramique 22gram USD $9.99

G

Thanks for that review WR2. Guess the MX2 is a pretty good, hassle free compound. I could go with that. And yeah the pricing for the ceramique does seem pretty off the mark. Didn't notice that before.