GTX 470 SLI Crysis Stutter/Lag

I just recently built a new rig with help and thanks to Lucuis. Specs are

Asus P6X58DE
6 Gigs of Mushkin Ram rated at 1600, however still set at 1033 according to bios
I7 930 Stock
2 GTX 470 running SLI

When playing Crysis at 1920X1080 with everything set to Very high, VSync off, my FPS ranges at about 50-60 when just moving around in the jungle, and will drop at about 45-30s at the beach/ gun fight area on the first stage. Sometimes alittle lower.

My problem is I'm feeling either lag or stutter during graphic intense scenes I guess, such as the beach and heavy gun fights. Sometimes even when I turn the mouse really quick. Only the first stage mind you. Shouldn't my system be able to handle this smoothly? This is with AA off or on.

I've already used driversweeper to reinstall the most up to date drivers, and flashed my bios to the most recent update. Can't really think of what else is wrong. Hoping it isn't the video cards. They got a GPU score of about 25K in 3D mark Vantage.

Would not OCing my CPU or setting my ram to 1600 MHZ be a reason? Can't imagine that I7 930 would be a bottle neck for GTX 470's in SLI.

Hoping it isn't the video card or motherboard as that would be a pain. Any input or help would be appreciated. Already looked into microstutter with SLI cards. Someone even said that putting on a second SLI bridge worked for his GTX 480s lol.
9 answers Last reply
More about crysis stutter
  1. Okay this is strange. When running MSI After burner it shows that Crysis is using GPU 2 fully along with GPU 1. However when playing BFBC2 and Metro 2033 GPU 2 is BARELY being used while GPU 1 is maxed out. Is this normal?
  2. You might be running into the micro stutter that can accompany SLI. I heard enabling Vsync and triple buffering can help a bunch.

If you aren't using the bridge, you should, it'll improve performance by a noticeable amount. And probably will fix the stutter.

SLI in BFBC2 is weird, i'm not sure if it's supported properly yet. If FPS is god i wouldn't worry bout that one.

Metro should be using SLI to the fullest, how is performance in it?

First thing you should do is put an SLI bridge on those before anything else and see what happens.
  3. Well I "fixed" the Metro GPU usage issue. Was using a "back up" copy :ange: Reinstalled a digital copy and second GPU maxes out along with first one. Game plays really damn smooth as well. A bit of screen tearing, but I can deal with that better then stutter lag. Playing on complete maxed out settings with Tess and DOF on. Pretty sure FPS would increase quite a bit if I disabled Tesselation, DOF, and AA. I was also using Fraps to check FPS as well.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    22845, 486859, 21, 74, 46.923

Still don't understand how I can run Metro pretty smoothly, yet Crysis it sutters/lags badly. DAMN YOU CRYTEK!!! :fou:
  4. lucuis said:
    You might be running into the micro stutter that can accompany SLI. I heard enabling Vsync and triple buffering can help a bunch.

If you aren't using the bridge, you should, it'll improve performance by a noticeable amount. And probably will fix the stutter.

SLI in BFBC2 is weird, i'm not sure if it's supported properly yet. If FPS is god i wouldn't worry bout that one.

Metro should be using SLI to the fullest, how is performance in it?

First thing you should do is put an SLI bridge on those before anything else and see what happens.

It doesn't even really feel like microstutter to be honest with you. It feels more like loading time zone change lag. Gun fights get pretty bad as well. About to just uninstall the thing as its giving me nothing but stress. Tried the VSYNC Triplebuffer as well. Really don't know what it is :(

I do have a SLI bridge connected already. What I was saying in the first post a guy was stating to put on an additional SLI, haha. I do have a 3 way SLI bridge I could try, but I doubt it work. I'm about to reinstall BFBC2. I'll test it with Fraps and post results for ya!
  5. Just ran a quick test on Crysis as well. 1920x1080 as well. Everything Very High, turned AA off, Vsync and triple buffering enabled

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    23863, 500203, 6, 63, 47.707

6FPS Min OUCH
  6. I used to get stutters like that a long time ago when my old machine had only 2gb of ram. How is your ram usage when you play crysis?

I haven't tried crysis on my new system personally, maybe i'll load it up and see. I did play it on the 470 but with the q6600 without any trouble.
  7. Ram usage seems pretty minimal, I'll check again in a min. Checking it through my Logitech G15 LCD. PSX is 1000W. I'm hoping it's not a faulty video card. Wouldn't make much sense tho since Metro plays so nice
  8. Yes ram usage is only about 40%. Going to install my new fans that just came in today. Going to pull out a vid card at a time and try to run it through Crysis to try to diagnose if its a vid card issue.
  9. Is crysis patched at all, i usually run it stock. Always had issues after i patch it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Overclocking