Sign in with
Your question

Kingston V Series x2 a bargain?

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2010 7:03:13 PM

So finally its time for me to get my 1st SSD(s) and value is important to me. I was looking around and this seems like quite a deal:

Kingston SSDNow V Series 30GB x2 $170

I am planning on putting my Win 7 Ultimate on it, one game (~15GB, maybe up to 20 a while down the road), and my multimedia applications which right now all of them not even 10GB. So this seems like I would have at least 20GB to spare after I have everything I need installed.

I know those aren't the fastest out there but 2 in Raid0 would probably outperform other hard drives sub $200? I was reading other posts and I saw someone mention new line of SSDs coming out in fall that will be cheaper (and faster?). Should I just wait a couple month or is this a good enough of a deal?

Edit: Need a SATA II SSD only. Will not upgrade my mobo unless I build a new computer.
September 10, 2010 12:57:10 AM

You need to read up on TRIM...or inyour case lack of it if you are going to use a raid setup.
m
l
September 10, 2010 2:24:26 AM

It seems Intel is putting out raid drivers update for their mobos that supports TRIM now. So, with high hopes, wouldn't other major mobo manufacturers follow? (I have ASUS M4N72-E)

Even if for now my SSDs' write speeds would fall because of this problem how much of a performance impact would I take in real world? I mean after I have everything installed I see the only things being written to disk be things like temporary files for windows and with game updates which for most part have to deal with my internet bandwidth anyways. Rarely would I have to install extra things on to the drive. And the read speeds would not suffer from my understanding?

Edit: Just found this hard drive: A-DATA S596 Turbo

Similar pricing and it;'s rocking a "...JMicron JMF616 128MB Cache TRIM command support RAID...", did some googling and seems like its a decent controller.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2010 5:28:00 AM

have you read up on the sandforce controller?
do you really need 2 ssd's? to my knowledge the older drives use that jmicron controller but arent as fast as the sandforce controller...
yes they have updated the firmware for them but i dont think they are as fast as the sandforce controllers...
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
September 14, 2010 2:16:08 AM

Even thought I would never recommend those Kingston drives (there is a reason they are so cheap), sounds like you did a fair share of research.

Go for it!

Did you read somewhere that Intel is coming out with a new driver, or did you just see the posts avout the IRST 9.6 driver? The 9.6 driver supports TRIM for drives in RAID, but not part of a RAID array.
m
l
!