Sign in with
Your question

Help Lost Virtual Disk on Marvell Raid Controller 88SE61xx

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2010 7:18:21 PM

Hi all, I have an Intel D975XBX2 with the Marvell 88SE61xx Raid controller installed.

I have been using 4 Seagate ST3250410AS drives in a Raid10 array for over 3 years with no problems. These drive were all in a single VD (Virtual Disk) that was my "D" drive. This all worked great under Windows XP Pro. It was finally time to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Enterprise. I got an new SATA Drive for C: and did a clean install expecting that I would not see my Raid10 Array until I installed new drivers after Windows 7 was up.

At this point the Bios still showed that I had 1 VD defined with members 1,5,9,13 during the POST. I then downloaded the new Marvell drivers from the Intel website (STOR_AllOS_MRUSetup_1.2.0.7103_PV_Marvell). The install went fine and I was instructed to reboot. This time the Marvell message at post showed that I had "NO Virutal Disks Defined"

The Physical drives are still there but now called 0,4,8,12. In windows disk manager I can see all 4 drives 1 is Basic/Offline the other 3 are Unknown/Offline.

I tried going back to my Windows XP system and have the same result.

I made the bad assumption that since the Raid10 configuration was on the Motherboard that it would be preserved so I have parts of it backed up nut not all. I has over 40000 pictures and MyDocuments on it so I really don't want to loose the data.

I have looked at the BIOS utility, the MarvellMRU and the MarvellCLi read the manual and find no help. I tried to call Intel but the board is out of support as of Dec 2009 but they said to contact Marvell but they won't talk to an end user. :( 

What I really need to know is if the Marvell utilities are smart enough to see the defunct array on the Physical drives if I just create a new Virtual Disk? I have seen other Raid controllers do this. My next step is to try hooking up 4 different drives to the Marvell controller, define a VD and add the PD's and test access from window 7. I will then delete the VD and them build again to see if it finds the old format. One other option is to use a bit-copy program to copy each of the drives from the failed array and try the recover on the copies.

I would love to hear from others that have had a similar problem.

Take Care
K0IBM
January 9, 2011 10:04:24 AM

K0IBM said:
Hi all, I have an Intel D975XBX2 with the Marvell 88SE61xx Raid controller installed.

I have been using 4 Seagate ST3250410AS drives in a Raid10 array for over 3 years with no problems. These drive were all in a single VD (Virtual Disk) that was my "D" drive. This all worked great under Windows XP Pro. It was finally time to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Enterprise. I got an new SATA Drive for C: and did a clean install expecting that I would not see my Raid10 Array until I installed new drivers after Windows 7 was up.

At this point the Bios still showed that I had 1 VD defined with members 1,5,9,13 during the POST. I then downloaded the new Marvell drivers from the Intel website (STOR_AllOS_MRUSetup_1.2.0.7103_PV_Marvell). The install went fine and I was instructed to reboot. This time the Marvell message at post showed that I had "NO Virutal Disks Defined"

The Physical drives are still there but now called 0,4,8,12. In windows disk manager I can see all 4 drives 1 is Basic/Offline the other 3 are Unknown/Offline.

I tried going back to my Windows XP system and have the same result.

I made the bad assumption that since the Raid10 configuration was on the Motherboard that it would be preserved so I have parts of it backed up nut not all. I has over 40000 pictures and MyDocuments on it so I really don't want to loose the data.

I have looked at the BIOS utility, the MarvellMRU and the MarvellCLi read the manual and find no help. I tried to call Intel but the board is out of support as of Dec 2009 but they said to contact Marvell but they won't talk to an end user. :( 

What I really need to know is if the Marvell utilities are smart enough to see the defunct array on the Physical drives if I just create a new Virtual Disk? I have seen other Raid controllers do this. My next step is to try hooking up 4 different drives to the Marvell controller, define a VD and add the PD's and test access from window 7. I will then delete the VD and them build again to see if it finds the old format. One other option is to use a bit-copy program to copy each of the drives from the failed array and try the recover on the copies.

I would love to hear from others that have had a similar problem.

Take Care
K0IBM

Hello K0IBM,
I have discovered the same issue some days ago and made same experience with Intel/Marvell support. :( 
I only updated the Marvell RAID driver under Windows XP 32bit.
You indicated that you wanted to try out some things to evalute if the create function leaves an existing array functional.
Did you come to a result?
It would be very helpful for me to get your experience and not have to repeat all your steps again.

Thanks in Advance

harry-th
m
l
January 16, 2011 11:49:37 AM

Hello,
I believe I am in that same small boat, (rubber liferaft?)\
Anyway it looks like the Marvel raid controller is runnning my CD/DVD drives and the Intel controller is now running the HD's. I am pretty sure that was not the case before.
I cant seem to do anything with the Marvel MRU. CLI is just for Linux i know.
Maybe inside BIOS If I delete the controller and reinstall will I still be able to load? Not sure that is an option just grasping

Appreciate all answers thanks
Bruce
m
l
January 17, 2011 6:51:38 AM

bldaz1 said:
Hello,
I believe I am in that same small boat, (rubber liferaft?)\
Anyway it looks like the Marvel raid controller is runnning my CD/DVD drives and the Intel controller is now running the HD's. I am pretty sure that was not the case before.
I cant seem to do anything with the Marvel MRU. CLI is just for Linux i know.
Maybe inside BIOS If I delete the controller and reinstall will I still be able to load? Not sure that is an option just grasping

Appreciate all answers thanks
Bruce

Hello Bruce,
in my case after updating the Marvell driver the RAID0 array from the Marvell controller had disappeared but the disks were still shown under the Marvell Bios message.
This weekend I managed to repair it by simply choosing the option "Create" in the Marvell BIOS dialogue and leaving all at default values.
Important to check that the option "Init" is not checked.
After reboot the array was back again and windows recognized it as before.
But I would highly recommend to do a bit exact backup of your RAID drives before you try this.
It will only work if you either have not changed the default parameters of the RAID array or at least remember the changed parameters.
I used CD-Rescue and then dd to create two image files for every disk before I dared to do the actions mentioned above.

Hope this will help you

Good Luck

Harry
m
l
January 17, 2011 11:23:49 AM

1837361,4,801118 said:
Hello Bruce,
in my case after updating the Marvell driver the RAID0 array from the Marvell controller had disappeared but the disks were still shown under the Marvell Bios message.
This weekend I managed to repair it by simply choosing the option "Create" in the Marvell BIOS dialogue and leaving all at default values.
But I would highly recommend to do a bit exact backup of your RAID drives before you try this.
It will only work if you either have not changed the default parameters of the RAID array or at least remember the changed parameters.
I used CD-Rescue and then dd to create two image files for every disk before I dared to do the actions mentioned above.

Hope this will help you

Good Luck

Harry

No go,
In Marvell Bios clicked on create but there is no device to create
It also says "Arrays information", "No array is defined"
Tried to paste some pic's for you but cant get that either must have to upload to a web site first.
I have Win 7, 32 guess I am stuck with it.
m
l
January 18, 2011 7:02:37 AM

bldaz1 said:
1837361,4,801118 said:
Hello Bruce,

Hope this will help you

Good Luck

Harry

No go,
In Marvell Bios clicked on create but there is no device to create
It also says "Arrays information", "No array is defined"
Tried to paste some pic's for you but cant get that either must have to upload to a web site first.
I have Win 7, 32 guess I am stuck with it.
said:

you are sure that your drives are connected to the SATA connectors belonging to the Marvell controller?
Those are the blue ones on the D975XBX2 board.
In the BIOS check if the "secondary SATA controller" is "ENABLED"
Then you should see the disks appearing in the MARVELL BIOS screen
I have no experience with Windows 7 so far.
But in either case before doing some experiements you should create bit exact images of the related HDs.

Greetings

Harry
m
l
!