Case airflow and GPU overheating problems.

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Ok, I've got a weird problem. I have a Dell E510 case http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31555136-2-440-internal-4.gif and a 8800GT 512mb. It used to idle around 60 and load in the 70s to 80s but now its going all the way up to 100C!! And that's with 100% fan speed via Evga Precision 1.5.1
Also the idle is now 80C.
So I was wondering if my fan is screwed up or my case airflow sucks. (everything sounds fine however)

Any suggestions how to lower the temperature with out modding the case and gpu and adding an aftermarket fan on the GPU?? (If you look in the pic, there's almost no space b/w the GPU and the huge cpu fan. That's why I had to buy a single slot GPU)

Thanks

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I just blew out all the dust in the fans and etc.. but no change. The Gpu just idles back to 80C....
Should I use Rivatuner instead of evga precision? Will it make a difference?

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Also is there a way to control the huge dell cpu fan next to the GPU? Because sometimes the CPU fan really revves up and it brings the time down. But its seems out of my control without going into the bios..

jennyh

Splendid
The 8800gt is a hot card in cold systems, inside a dell it must be like hell. However you have a problem somewhere. Try spinning the gpu fan with your finger, it should spin smoothly for a few revolutions. If it only spins for a very short time then sorta stops abruptly it's probably broken somehow.

Is your 510 a BTX case? (ie. the fan blowing directly into the heat sink)

BTX cases have far superior air flow and cooling than the typical ATX case...my Dell e520 BTX had a crappy heat sink, but CPU temps remained around 30'C

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
jennyh - I've spun the fan before, it feels very smooth and it spins a few times but it does stop abruptly. But it feels like there's a slight springy feel.

Yes my case is a BTX and the gpu fan is blowing directly on the cpu. The back of the card was really hot though so I opened up the metal guards protecting the pci buses to increase airflow but there was no improvements.

Should I try to RMA the card to BFG? This 8800GT itself was a result of the RMA of a 7950GT I had which the fan broke also back in the early 2008. Im pretty sure theres like 10 year or lifetime warranty on it.

You can rma it , if its an option. Sometimes the tim is bad on gpus, and dries out. Might be whats happening here. Id see if I could rma it, if not, youll need to reseat your hsf using better grease heheh

jennyh

Splendid
High temps probably aren't enough for a refund or new card however. Mine also made a terrible noise but it was difficult to get it to do it all the time. I had to keep annoying the seller until they finally found the fault, which was the fan at 100%.

I'll say one good thing about the 8800gt though, it kept going all the way up to 130C :p

G

What you have to do is go to your nearest computer store and buy some compressed air for cleaning aka spraying the inside of your computer getting rid of the dust making your computer heat up so badly apply every few days to keep your computer safe and secure

What you have to do is go to your nearest computer store and buy some compressed air for cleaning aka spraying the inside of your computer getting rid of the dust making your computer heat up so badly apply every few days to keep your computer safe and secure

Thread necro. :non: