Theoretical Power Supply Question

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm going to be going without my Corsair 750TX for a while due to a defect.
In meantime is it possible to run 2 psu's to one system in order to meet the power requirements. I have my pc down clocked to fit into my Ultra 400W at the moment.
But could I have one PSU powering the 8Pin cpu, and both plugs on my 260GTX, and another 400W powering the 24Pin MB connector and peripherals? One connector from each is connected to the MB so that it will be told to turn on. Is that connection necessary or can one simply run the graphics card without any other connections, or am I crazy and this is a bad idea period?

(My 750TX started spitting sparks on start up.....that's why it's being RMA'd if you care, there was no damage to any other PC components, I am sure of this, so this would not be a problem.)

Just a wondering question, I'll survive with or without but it'd be nice to know. thanks for any help!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't know if I would try that. I would probably be more inclined to have one powersupply run just the mobo, and then the other to run the extra stuff.

Though personally I'd just wait.. O hell I can't tell a lie, I'd try it to lol.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Does this just ground them both properly?

Thanks for all the quick replies.

So If I had one PSU just run the Graphics card would it still know to power up when the PC started? (The other would get the mobo and peripherals)

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
To go further one what Dell said. That would be the way to do it. You can get plastic clips that will hook onto the wires, that will connect both wires together. Their like clamps I used them a lot in rv factorys not sure of the actual name of them.

Or I'm pretty sure you could just jump the switch manually as soon as you turned on your mobo powersupply. But if you can find the clips at your hardware store to me that would be the best and easiest option.