I7 950 Over clock questions

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Okay, I know how to over clock and everything, I've got the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, with arctic 5 silver. After OCing to 4.0, my idle temps were around 45.. When I ran prime95 for about a minute or two, it got up to around 90-100.. I figured thats okay, because most times CPU wont be stressed that much, so I bumped it up to 4.2ghz. Its still the same, around 45-50 idle, and it quickly jumps to 100 when I start it.. Is that too high, and is there any reason its that high, if so how can I lower it? (Do voltages have to do anything with that, like if I lower voltages, will it bring the temp down?) Thanks

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Those temps are NOT good. Please reset your OC back to stock before you damage your CPU.

Did you use thermal paste when you mounted the Cooler? If so then reseat it, meaning take it off clean it reapply thermal paste and remount. It is most likely not mounted correctly.

You say you know how to OC yet you don't know whether putting the voltages down will lower the temp? What did you set the voltage too? Auto? If so then you do not know how to OC properly, search for a guide and follow it.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

I did follow a guide, and i'm pretty sure that the arctic silver is on fine. I also didn't touch voltages, and I don't see why those temps are bad for 4.0 ghz.. It only gets that high when im running a cpu stress test, and when gaming it only gets to 60's, 70 max..

The temps are very bad and you never know when a game could push you into them in the future, also if your only running it for a few minutes it takes around 10-15 for temps to peak (and you need to run it for hours to check if the overclock is stable). Lowering the voltage will lower the temps.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Well dosen't the rampage iii extreme auto set voltages? I worked my way up from the lowest, and only got it to boot at what it was already at.. I don't understand why temps are so high, I have a really nice cooler, one of the best, my airflow is very good.. Can somebody link me to a guide?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My guess is that there is a problem with the cooler installation. I recommend removing the cooler, cleaning off the heatsink compound, putting fresh compound on there and re-seating the heat sink. In the past people have reported problems if everything is correct except that one corner of the heatsink is not latched down properly.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

OK, you said you know how to overclock and then your bring your CPU up to 4.0 Ghz with it on "AUTO" vcore :pt1cable:

You don't leave many voltages on AUTO, especially the vcore. Set the vcore, VTT and IOH voltages and you won't have any problems.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
For the main thread here, reseat your cpu cooler.

For the Artic Silver guy, I ran 5 hours of occt without error on my core i5 750 @ 4.0ghz with 1.32 vcore and with coolit eco system I was getting 64ºC max temp.
I just installed the system 2 days ago and used it for barely 3 hours.

So those temps will lower with time and as5 is a really good thermal paste, give it a try.